best time to get second dog

Old November 28th 04, 07:37 PM
MauiJNP

Default best time to get second dog

when is the best time to get a second dog? I have a 5 month old poodle. I
am looking to rescue a poodle (maybe 1-4 years old). Right now, my puppy is
very attached to me, he sleeps in my bed, follows me around (like a little
puppy, hehe) and is very excited when I come home from anywhere (whether I
am gone 2 minutes or 2 hours). I want him to still love me that way, not
choose to be with the other dog all the time. This may be selfish but we
have a good, playful, companionate relationship and I don't want that to
change. I am looking to get a second dog because they will keep each other
company when I am gone and can play together when I don't have the time to
play (when I work from home a few hours a week, I need the puppy to leave me
alone for the most part while I sit at my desk and work). Right now, my
puppy does well at this, he takes naps by my feet or plays by himself.
However, whenever he seems my sister's dog, he goes nuts wanting to play.
He loves other dogs. I feel bad for him that he doesn't get to play with
them more. My sister's dog is 95+ pounds though and crated for most of the
day so they don't often get to play. If I had another dog (smaller too as
mine's a 6 pound poodle), then they can play a lot. so, what's the best
next step? should I get another dog now? after the holiday crazy season?
when my puppy is older? if so how much older? what age dog should I get?
thanks for any help!

Old November 28th 04, 10:44 PM
Tee

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

Only you can answer when will be the best time to get a new dog. It depends
on your finances (a second dog will also need vetting, feeding & grooming),
your schedule, your ability and your desire.

Its sounds to me like *you* don't want another dog but that you'd get one
just for your current puppy. Wanting your dog to have a playmate is fine
but you also need to want a second dog because that dog will look to you for
attention and affection the same way your current dog does.

You don't mention training but I'd recommend you get the basic commands down
with your Poodle before bringing home another dog. I'd also highly
recommend that you proceed with the neuter surgery prior to bringing in
another dog.

--
Tara

Old November 29th 04, 01:44 AM
MauiJNP

Only you can answer when will be the best time to get a new dog. It
depends on your finances (a second dog will also need vetting, feeding &
grooming), your schedule, your ability and your desire.

Its sounds to me like *you* don't want another dog but that you'd get one
just for your current puppy. Wanting your dog to have a playmate is fine
but you also need to want a second dog because that dog will look to you
for attention and affection the same way your current dog does.

I know that I have always wanted two dogs and I am sure that I will love
another dog as much as I love my current dog.

You don't mention training but I'd recommend you get the basic commands
down with your Poodle before bringing home another dog. I'd also highly
recommend that you proceed with the neuter surgery prior to bringing in
another dog.

Would it be best to get another boy dog or a girl dog? Either way, my dog
will be neutured and the new dog will be spayed/neutered as well. I was
just thinking as far as affection/playing between the dogs.

Old November 29th 04, 01:48 AM
Tee

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
Only you can answer when will be the best time to get a new dog. It
depends on your finances (a second dog will also need vetting, feeding &
grooming), your schedule, your ability and your desire.

Its sounds to me like *you* don't want another dog but that you'd get one
just for your current puppy. Wanting your dog to have a playmate is fine
but you also need to want a second dog because that dog will look to you
for attention and affection the same way your current dog does.

I know that I have always wanted two dogs and I am sure that I will love
another dog as much as I love my current dog.

That's great. The timing then is really just up to you. IME the younger the
existing dog is the more he/she is willing to accept a second dog into the
household. That doesn't mean it must be done when your dog is still a puppy
but I think adding a second dog sometime between now and the time your dog
is 2 yo would probably be best.

You don't mention training but I'd recommend you get the basic commands
down with your Poodle before bringing home another dog. I'd also highly
recommend that you proceed with the neuter surgery prior to bringing in
another dog.

Would it be best to get another boy dog or a girl dog? Either way, my dog
will be neutured and the new dog will be spayed/neutered as well. I was
just thinking as far as affection/playing between the dogs.

Its a general rule of thumb that you want to add a second dog of the
opposite gender.

--
Tara

Old November 29th 04, 01:55 AM
MauiJNP

"Tee" wrote in message
"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

ok, I will definately strive for that.

You don't mention training but I'd recommend you get the basic commands
down with your Poodle before bringing home another dog. I'd also highly
recommend that you proceed with the neuter surgery prior to bringing in
another dog.

Would it be best to get another boy dog or a girl dog? Either way, my
dog will be neutured and the new dog will be spayed/neutered as well. I
was just thinking as far as affection/playing between the dogs.

Its a general rule of thumb that you want to add a second dog of the
opposite gender.

so I will have two boys? ok!

Old November 29th 04, 01:56 AM
MauiJNP

"Tee" wrote in message
"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

so I will have a boy and girl is what I meant! yeah!

Old November 30th 04, 06:14 AM
Jo Wolf

I prefer to wait until my resident dog is the dog I want.... obedience
trained, and physically and mentally mature... 3-4 years old. This way
I've got an assistant to help train the new kid.

Another important point to consider is that it's not as likely that I
will loose both dogs in a short period of time if there is a significant
difference inages.... I got my first two terriers a year apart, and the
younger died six months before the older.... That was tough....
especially as I had adopted an elderly dog along the way, and lost him
within a year of the first two. Fortunately, I had a middle-aged dog
and a newly adopted young adult by the time I lost the last old guy...
so I wasn't left dogless, and those dogs had each other for canine
companionship. I currently have a 12 yo, an 8 yo, and an almost-2 yo.

I agree that you are best off for the next dog to be of the opposite sex
of the one you now have. Although in SOME breeds, you can match up two
males... as long as one of them has a reasonably submissive personality.
Discuss that with knowledgable breeders.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia