Advice for older Golden Retriever?

Old August 12th 03, 10:44 PM
80k

Default Advice for older Golden Retriever?

Hi,
I have a 9-year-old Golden Retriever. He has a beautiful, shiny coat,
no sign of white hair (which I see all the time in Goldens that are
younger than him). He is already having hip problems though, and has
problems getting up or going down stairs. I have given him Cosequin
for about a year and a half now, keeping the dosage low, but raising
it occasionally when his legs seem to be doing worse.

I have fed him Nutro dog food for about 2-3 years now.

I am just wondering what kind of improvements I can make on his diet?
Is it normal to be relying on Cosequin for the rest of his life? I
don't mind paying the money, but I just don't know whether there is a
better solution.

I know that my raw vegan diet may not apply very well to my Golden
Retriever. But at the same time, the same fundamental rules of food
combining, protein digestion, enzymes, etc... still apply to all other
living organisms. I'm not concerned about making my dog vegan, but I
am concerned with allowing his body to achieve the proper mediums for
digestion. I just can't help but think that packaged dog food has
horrible combinations of food that are vital, but should not be eaten
in the same meal (much less the same bite!).

I would love to hear how other people have to say about this subject.
Thanks so much, I really want to do the best for my dog, and I know he
is starting to get old.
Old August 13th 03, 12:40 AM
buglady

"80k" wrote in message
om...
I am just wondering what kind of improvements I can make on his diet?
Is it normal to be relying on Cosequin for the rest of his life? I
don't mind paying the money, but I just don't know whether there is a
better solution.

.....Here's a starter page with lots of links with some discussion about
arthritis: www.bowchow.com
If you really want to take charge of his diet there are lists you can join
such as Totally Home Cooking or K9Nutrition. There's discussion of
nutrition also at above page.

....Some things to consider for arthritis are salmon oil, MSM, curcurmin,
acupuncture, etc.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 13th 03, 12:52 PM
dotmcs

I'll second the use of MSM and salmon oil, in particular. My old GSD with
hip dysplasia improves substantially when I add those two along with
glucosamine, which is the main ingredient in Cosequin, if I remember
correctly. I did find Cosequin to be very expensive and since starting the
use human quality supplements, I've not only saved money, but have seen
improvement I didn't see before.

Old August 15th 03, 04:38 AM
80k

(Steve Crane) wrote in message . com...
(80k) wrote in message . com...
Hi,
I have a 9-year-old Golden Retriever. He has a beautiful, shiny coat,
no sign of white hair (which I see all the time in Goldens that are
younger than him). He is already having hip problems though, and has
problems getting up or going down stairs. I have given him Cosequin
for about a year and a half now, keeping the dosage low, but raising
it occasionally when his legs seem to be doing worse.

I have fed him Nutro dog food for about 2-3 years now.

At nine years of age a golden is a few years past being switched from
an adult food to a senior food. Hopefully you are using a senior
version of whatever you choose. Considering that geriatric animals are
more at risk for things like cancer, kidney failure and obesity, you
should choose a food with those known risks in mind. If the animal has
a few too many pounds, and what Golden doesn't? the first place to
start would be to take a bit of the excess weight off. Next on the
list would be a level of antioxidants that would beneficial for older
aniamls and finally reducing the levels of sodium and phosphorus in
the diet to reduce risks of undetected renal failure.

Thanks so much for all the replies, i will look into that book,
website, and all the other suggestions.

I will also try to find a senior food for him. I am very careful
about him overeating, and he has maintained a very good weight
throughout his life.

I would consider doing homecooking, but i really don't want to
introduce meat into my kitchen and refrigerator... (and i completely
realize the hypocrisy in buying a bag of dog food that contains
'meat', so let's not go there! :-)
What are some better dogfoods than Nutro that are out there? Or do
you think homecooking really is the best answer?

Thanks again for the info!