neutering at 11 months

Old April 5th 04, 06:38 PM
Kelly

Default neutering at 11 months

My dog will be neutered and he's 11 months,
I should have decided when he's 8 months.
Will he be ok? (won't go crazy or something...)

Thanks.

Old April 5th 04, 06:45 PM
After L1F3

That is funny, I'm just getting my boxer done today and he is 11 months as
well. He was getting to the stage where he wouldn't leave my other dog
alone, he was trying to "Hmm Hmm" her all the time. Hopefully he'll not be
so "excitable" after today....

.. .

Old April 5th 04, 06:53 PM

Rich wrote:
Sure. I've heard of dogs being neutered and adopted out much latter in life.

I suspect that learning about dogs from books and
conversation is kind of like learning to play tennis from
books and conversations. I.e., you can't, not without
putting in a lot of hands-on work yourself.

American workers' share of the increase in national income
since the recession ended is the lowest on record
Old April 5th 04, 07:07 PM
Suja

Kelly wrote:

My dog will be neutered and he's 11 months,
I should have decided when he's 8 months.
Will he be ok? (won't go crazy or something...)

My male wasn't neutered until he was an adult, at least a couple of
years old. He's a little nutty, but I suspect that's how he's always been.

Suja

Old April 5th 04, 07:10 PM

In article 8ghcc.12472$9g.11368@lakeread04,
Suja wrote:
My male wasn't neutered until he was an adult, at least a couple of
years old. He's a little nutty, but I suspect that's how he's always been.

Two of my guys were neutered late - one at 4 and one at 5.
In each case I'd only had them a couple of days so I
couldn't speak to behavioral changes, but they're fine.

Old April 5th 04, 07:52 PM
Judy

"Kelly" wrote in message
.. .
My dog will be neutered and he's 11 months,
I should have decided when he's 8 months.
Will he be ok? (won't go crazy or something...)

My dog was not neutered until he was 10 months old - and the wait was
intentional.

There is a school of thought that you should not neuter until the dog has
reached full height - there are studies that support this thought for
reasons that I suspect are not important to you - nor are they to most
people. However, what is relevant to you about it all is that there is no
*danger* in having not done the neutering at 6 or 8 months of age as is the
conventional wisdom.

A dog may be neutered at any time in his life - barring any medical reasons
to avoid surgery. I did not neuter my previous male schnauzer and the vets
were still discussing it at each annual visit until he died at 14. They
were willing - I was not, primarily because he had developed a heart murmur
and I felt that the surgery was still optional for him. He *was* starting
to shows some signs of enlarged prostate but it was never a problem so we
did not *have* to address it. My next male schnauzer was neutered - hence
we will not have to be concerned about an enlarging prostate as he ages.

And no, it will not drive him crazy. He will be fine.
--
~~Judy
"Dogs are not our whole life, but

Old April 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Suja

Alison wrote:

Do you think other male dogs treat a neutered dog differently?

We tend to get lots of neutered dogs and the odd unneutered one or two,
so I can't answer this. However, the neutered dogs most definitely
notice when an unneutered dog is in their midst.

Most of the dogs in my area are entire and the bitches spayed but I've
noticed that they always seem fascinated by him and some seem to
spend ages standing over him with their noses sniffing his bum with
him on his back , a female mastiff did this too. (

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that he's
neutered. I know LOTS of dogs who gets this sort of treatment, and they
are generally the submissive ones. The more confident ones won't put up
with that sort of treatment. I can't imagine Khan ever being on his
back to any unneutered dog. The only time he goes belly up is in play,
and even that with a select few (mostly females).

Suja

Old April 5th 04, 08:59 PM
sionnach

"Suja" wrote:

We tend to get lots of neutered dogs and the odd unneutered one or two,
so I can't answer this. However, the neutered dogs most definitely
notice when an unneutered dog is in their midst.

And so do other intact dogs, IME. IOW, another intact dog will often
react more, just as the neutered dogs do when a second intact dog shows up.
However, I've ALSO noticed that the reactivity to the intact dog often has
as much or more to do with BEHAVIOUR as anything else.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that he's
neutered.

I doubt that it does- I've seen very submissive intact males who have
gotten that treatment, and many, many neutered males who would NEVER react
that way.

I know LOTS of dogs who gets this sort of treatment, and they
are generally the submissive ones.

Exactly.