two puppy questions

Old August 14th 03, 08:32 AM
Nomad

Default two puppy questions

I have two questions about my rott puppy:

1) I live in Hawaii and I have a banana tree growing in my backyard. My
puppy loves chewing on the bark of the tree. My neighbor says he thinks
banana trees are bad for dogs. Anybody know?

2) Right now I feed him Eubakanuba puppy food (not sure about that
spelling). He doesn't seem to like it too much. I'm thinking about switching
to Iams, Science Diet, or Nature's Choice. Does anyone have a strong opinion
on which is best?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Old August 14th 03, 01:02 PM
Amy Dahl

Nomad wrote:

2) Right now I feed him Eubakanuba puppy food (not sure about that
spelling). He doesn't seem to like it too much. I'm thinking about switching
to Iams, Science Diet, or Nature's Choice. Does anyone have a strong opinion
on which is best?

Can't tell you anything about banana trees, sorry. I have raised a
few puppies and suggest you talk to your puppy's breeder and your
vet. One possibility is that he doesn't like the food. I had a
puppy refuse to eat anything until I gave him what his breeder had
used. So trying what the breeder used may be a good starting point.

Another possibility is that the puppy is eating enough, is regulating
his own intake, and doesn't need as much food as you think he does.
Your vet can help you determine if this is likely. The nutritional
needs of a growing puppy are a "moving target." In addition to that,
the directions on the dog food bag almost always tell you to feed
more than is ideal.

My experience with "large breed" puppy foods, if that is what you are
using, is that the very low fat content can lead to less palatability,
drier and less supple skin. The idea is that fewer calories leads to
slower growth--but you can often see other effects in the puppy.
Again, your vet can help you determine if your puppy's condition
fits the program he is on, or indicates a need for improvement.

Amy Dahl

Old August 14th 03, 03:34 PM
ZPL

After talking with your vet, maybe just moving to pup to regular adult food
may be the answer. I moved away from Eukanuba because of the corn and the
dry skin. I like the Nutro products for a couple of reasons - the Lamb and
Rice formula was an improvement in the skin, and I can always find it out
here in the country.

Old August 14th 03, 03:34 PM
ZPL

"Amy Dahl" wrote in message

Nomad wrote:

[...]

Is getting a Chihuahua puppy reasonable for me? Pyro Doug Dog breeds 0 March 28th 04 03:42 PM
New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu) MikeTheBike9 Dog breeds 1 November 24th 03 11:18 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM