Frankie Ultrasound Update (12/17)

Old December 18th 03, 12:36 AM
Dimpled Chad

Default Frankie Ultrasound Update (12/17)

Frankie went in for an abdominal ultrasound yesterday, the last step for now
in trying to locate a secondary cause (if any) for his IMT.

Results today were good, insofar as there was nothing there we weren't
already expecting. The best news: there is no evidence of masses or tumors
anywhere. The spleen is tumor free, and no other neoplastic evidence was
found. The ultrasound did reveal three other areas of concern which we knew
about and which are relevant: (1) there has been a slight change in the liver
(mild vacuolar hematopathy), which can be secondary to many things, including
recent introduction of steroid therapy. We could do a biopsy, but at this
point we're going to assume it is related to the steroids; (2) They saw and
noted his bladder stones, which we'll have to address down the road; and (3)
there was some change in his kidneys. She called it a change in the cortex of
the kidney, increased ecognisity (or something), which could be related
either to some infection or to some other cause (like a toxin).

We had been treating for a possible UTI, so we're going to go ahead and do
the urine culture Friday to see what else we can learn about the kidney
problem. It is possible he'll have to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks instead
of 3.

That's where we are. We're estatic that he doesn't have any cancerous lumps
(that we can see). Now we continue on the current administration of
antibiotics and steroids, pepsid and imuran. We'll probably look to taper
down the steroids further next week.

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com