OT Christmas Dinner

Old December 18th 03, 03:31 PM
Judy

Default OT Christmas Dinner

Okay guys, it's a week before Christmas and I need inspiration.
We have no real traditional Christmas dinner. I've done everything from
the turkey and/or ham thing to Beef Wellington (which was a big hit but is a
LOT of work) to a cold cut platter. Grilled venison tenderloins, grilled
pork loins, baked chicken breasts. No one cares what we have. And after 30
years, I've run out of ideas.
I have eight people, all adults. In-laws don't do steak because it's
gets too difficult to chew. No matter what we have, MIL will bring her
famous rolls. I prefer something that doesn't require a LOT of last minute
complicated work because things get a little hectic. I have one oven, four
burners, a microwave and a gas grill (which DH is willing to operate for
whatever). (NEXT house will have at least two ovens!)
I have considered everything from stuffed chicken breasts (but haven't
decided what to stuff them with), to pork roast to hamburgers and hotdogs to
two or three types of soup and a collection of homemade breads.
Ideally, we'd have something sufficiently low-carb (fat doesn't matter)
to balance off the high-carb desserts that will be required. That rules out
the lasagna I also considered.
DH has suggested just going to a good meat market and seeing what looks
good. Problem is he thinks we can wait until Wednesday to do this. I am
WAY too anal-retentive to wait until then to settle on a menu.
HELP!!!! I don't mind a little work - it's kind of a Christmas present
to the family - but if I do the work, I'd like it to be something that's fun
for me to make and serve also. Mostly that requires that I get a little
excited about making it - and I'm just not getting there this year. I've
got shelves of cookbooks and they're no help inspiring me.

What do you guys have for holiday dinners?
Are there any foods that are required for it to feel "right"?

~~Judy

OT Christmas Dinner Judy Dog behavior 1196 December 27th 03 11:03 PM
OT Christmas Dinner Judy Dog behavior 0 December 18th 03 03:31 PM
OT Christmas Dinner Judy Dog behavior 0 December 18th 03 03:31 PM
Letters to a Christmas dog (for Judy and Kenneth) KrisHur Dog behavior 0 December 11th 03 03:00 PM
Letters to a Christmas dog (for Judy and Kenneth) KrisHur Dog behavior 0 December 11th 03 03:00 PM