wire fox terrier

Old December 20th 03, 02:46 PM
raymac

Default wire fox terrier

I have a 15 month old wire fox terrier who is very nervous especially
with other dogs( large and small). He shys away from any dog when I
take him for a walk and I do not dare take him off the lead or he
would panic and run away. My Vet has prescibed arsenicum ,aconite and
he is at present on clomicalm. I also take him to dog classes to get
him used to other dogs around him but he will not get involved in any
of the tasks but tries to edge towards the door. At home he barks at
dogs going passed the house and then runs inside for safety.
Has anyone experienced this behaviour and can offer advise.

Ray Mc Callin
Old December 20th 03, 03:54 PM
Leah

(raymac) wrote:
I have a 15 month old wire fox terrier who is very nervous especially
with other dogs( large and small). He shys away from any dog when I
take him for a walk and I do not dare take him off the lead or he
would panic and run away. My Vet has prescibed arsenicum ,aconite and
he is at present on clomicalm. I also take him to dog classes to get
him used to other dogs around him but he will not get involved in any
of the tasks but tries to edge towards the door. At home he barks at
dogs going passed the house and then runs inside for safety.
Has anyone experienced this behaviour and can offer advise.

First of all, don't force him to interact with other dogs. Some owners try to
coerce their dogs to look at or play with the other dogs - don't do this. If
he wants to back away, let him.

In class whenever another dog gets close to him, praise him like he just
invented the cure for cancer. Yay! Good boy! Look at you! Whee!!! Be very
careful that you're not trying to soothe and coddle him, i.e., "Awww, it's
okay, poor baby." He'll get the message from you that there is a reason to be
afraid. Cheerleading him gives him a different, healthier message.

Watch your body language when you see another dog and he's on leash. Do you
get anxious worrying about his reaction, and inadvertently tighten up on the
leash? If so, don't. :} Instead, be completely unconcerned and keep up with
the cheerleading.

I would also suggest carrying around his favorite treats, and whenever another
dog is around, the treats should be coming out. When the other dog is out of
sight, the treats disappear.

Note regarding another thread on CC vs. OC - this sounds like a good candidate
for CC, doesn't it?

Note to poster: That's classical, or Pavlovian, conditioning. You're trying
to change his perception of dogs as fearful objects by having wonderful things
happen whenever they're around, no matter what behavior he displays.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.