Sudden rage in cockers?

Old April 7th 04, 09:46 PM
George

Default Sudden rage in cockers?

Can anyone provide current information on sudden rage in cockers. I've
been told it is a trait seen more and more in this otherwise gentle
breed.

Old April 7th 04, 09:56 PM
Tee

"George" wrote in message
Can anyone provide current information on sudden rage in cockers. I've
been told it is a trait seen more and more in this otherwise gentle
breed.

Cross-posting this to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

--
Tara

Old April 7th 04, 09:57 PM
Tee

Sorry, I was only seeing the post in *rescue at first.

--
Tara

Old April 8th 04, 02:07 AM
Rocky

George said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Can anyone provide current information on sudden rage in
cockers. I've been told it is a trait seen more and more in
this otherwise gentle breed.

Here's an article that talks about rage syndrome:
http://www.essfta.org/aggression.htm

Old April 9th 04, 02:28 PM
George

Is this something that can be overcome? How can one know if he/she is
adopting
a dog with a bad temperament when just a year old and only seeing them at a
shelter where they are probably scared to death.

Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC wrote:

Janet,
I agree with your comment about poorly bred cockers.
It isn't rage, it is more like very poor temperaments.

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC
From: George

Can anyone provide current information on sudden rage in cockers. I've
been told it is a trait seen more and more in this otherwise gentle
breed.

"rage" is controversial, and more heard of in English Springer Spaniels

than
Cocker Spaniels.

OTOH, due to over and poor breeding, American Cockers (to differentiate

from
another breed - the English Cocker), have a LOT of aggression. Careful
research of a good breeder is essential.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old April 9th 04, 02:42 PM
Emily Carroll

"George" wrote in message
Is this something that can be overcome? How can one know if he/she is
adopting
a dog with a bad temperament when just a year old and only seeing them at

shelter where they are probably scared to death.

Depends on the dog and the humans involved. Some dogs have been bred so
recklessly that they are missing most of their screws and can't be helped.
However, most of them just simply need a structured household with obvious
human leaders, where their BS isn't tolerated, to do fine.

--
Emily Carroll
Fluttervale Labradors: www.fluttervale.com

---

Old April 9th 04, 08:27 PM
sionnach

"George" wrote in message
Is this something that can be overcome?

It depends on how bad the temperament is, and I wouldn't use the term
"overcome" when talking about genetically bad temperament. You can certainly
train and manage a dog with genetic brain quirks, and if you raise them from
the beginning you can give them as many tools as possible to help deal with
the issues, but you can't change the dog itself.

And such dogs find it much more difficult to overcome problems caused by
mismanagement, neglect, etc. - just as dogs with innate extra-good/stable
temperaments overcome them more easily.

Old April 10th 04, 07:49 AM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

George,
Good question.
I'm sure many dogs have been pts due to their fear in the shelter.

I pulled a frightened black cocker out once who would bare her teeth at me
if I even looked at her.
I spent 30 mins outside her kennel (which was in the very back as she was
deemed aggressive).
I finally, after 30 mins, started tossing in treats and I started to speak
to her in a high tone, telling her she was a good girl etc. I *finally* saw
her tail wagging. Once I got them to unlock the gate and I could take her
out...she was the best little dog. That was over a year ago now and she is
living happily ever after.

Your average pet owner might not know to do this and just see an aggressive
dog.

I can only suggest that you go through a reputable rescue group who has
fostered and assessed the dog first.

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC