Parvo / vaccination questions

Old August 16th 03, 05:15 AM
Tracy Custer

Default Parvo / vaccination questions

We just took in a foster aussie shepherd yesterday from a local shelter,
and he was diagnosed with parvo today. He's in treatment at the vet's
for several days. I am fairly familiar with parvo (had a dog 10 yrs ago
with it and used to work at an emergency clinic). Here's my concern:
we also have a 5 month old ACD foster who just received his final
booster shot 2 days ago.....is he at risk?? I am finding very
conflicting information out there on the internet regarding parvo
vaccinations and scheduling for both pups and adult dogs. Some say 2
boosters are enough, some suggest 3-4 before immunity is imparted, some
say vaccinate against it annually, other say triennially.

The pup received his first shot in late July (at 5 months of age) from
the shelter....they advised me he would need one more "booster", which I
administered 2 days ago (pup is 5.5 months).

I spent the entire afternoon bleaching everything in my home the parvo
dog contacted: floors, bathtub, food/water bowls, crates. I pitched
all blankets, towels, toys; and I tossed bleach solution everywhere in
yard where I knew he went. Anything else I can do?? Are my fears
justified, or am I overreacting? My own 6 dogs have been on a yearly
vaccination schedule and vet said they should be fine.

Thanks in advance for any thought/insights

Tracy

EAT, SLEEP, DISC-DOG!

http://www.flyingk9s.com

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...rnOhioFlyinK9s

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...USTERGRUBPAGE0

Old August 16th 03, 05:47 AM
Jo Wolf

Tracy, if your younger rescue has had the boosters on schedule, it
Should be safe, especially since you have bleached everything you can.

The issue of number of initial boosters, and frequency of subsequent
boosters is up for grabs, but I'm told that there is some research in
progress on this issue.

This is one of the hazzards for rescue fostering, sadly... and a high
risk when dealing with dogs off the streets or from animal control
facilities. It's preferable to have a way of isolating these dogs for
two weeks after boosters/initial shots, to give a disease time to show
up, or immunity to develop... But facilities aren't always available to
do it that way. I would have to use my garage... which certainly isn't
climate controlled.... I missed the bullet the one time I had a dog
with a very questionnable immunization record and tons of intestinal
parasites. She got rid of the parasites easily enough, and had no
infectious diseases...

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 16th 03, 05:59 PM
Sharon

The issue of number of initial boosters, and frequency of subsequent
boosters is up for grabs, but I'm told that there is some research in
progress on this issue.

One of the thoughts is that certain breeds, such as dobermans, need an extra
booster for better resistence. Any vet types out there...?

-Sharon

two puppy questions Nomad Dog health 4 August 14th 03 03:34 PM
Questions on our dog's health.... Disk Dog Dog health 2 August 12th 03 06:28 AM
Cherry Eye Questions Kurt Harless Dog health 0 August 5th 03 01:53 AM
Interesting Vaccination Info. Jo Wolf Dog breeds 1 August 2nd 03 01:04 AM
New type of Parvo? Scott Dog health 6 August 1st 03 07:35 PM