Prong Collar

Old December 22nd 03, 04:30 PM
Suja

Default Prong Collar

I have a quick question on using these things. I have used one briefly
on Khan when we initially got him, but am positive that we had fitted it
all wrong. Anyway, Sebastian the guest dog doesn't really require a
leash to be walked, but since we'll be walking alongside the road, he
absolutely must be leashed. He does not walk well on a leash, and his
mom uses a properly fitted prong (I checked) for leash walking him. I
don't have enough time to teach him how to loose leash walk in the short
time we'll be having him, and will keep using the prong for management.

I know the prong can pop open by itself at times, and you're supposed to
back it up with something else. What is that something else I should
use? I don't think I'm supposed to use a standard collar since it would
keep the prong from working properly, and the only other thing I can
think of is a choke collar. I have one lying around somewhere and could
use it, but this would mean that the poor dog will be walking around
with a choke, a prong and a rolled leather collar (for holding his
tags). What am I missing here?

Suja

Prong Collar Suja Dog behavior 16 December 22nd 03 06:14 PM
Prong Collar Suja Dog behavior 0 December 22nd 03 04:30 PM
Prong/shock collar idiocy Dog behavior 60 September 29th 03 11:50 PM
Prong/shock collar idiocy Dog behavior 0 September 26th 03 02:03 AM
Prong/shock collar idiocy Dog behavior 0 September 26th 03 02:03 AM