Do dogs need a companion dog?

Old April 8th 04, 04:55 PM
Rob

Default Do dogs need a companion dog?

We have a Sheltie and he is at home from 9 to 2:30 everyday. We are
both teachers so he is outside and with us all summer long. However,
"Buddy" is afraid of other dogs, we have in interact in play groups
and at our local park but he just sits and does not respond to
anything. I was wondering if we were to get another dog (Golden
Retreiver) would that help socialize Buddy more and more importantly
would he be more happy. He is very loud and barky when we leave
everyday.
Old April 8th 04, 06:38 PM
DogStar716

However,
"Buddy" is afraid of other dogs, we have in interact in play groups
and at our local park but he just sits and does not respond to
anything.

Some dogs just don't care to socialize with other dogs, and thats not a bad
thing

I was wondering if we were to get another dog (Golden
Retreiver) would that help socialize Buddy more and more importantly
would he be more happy.

Why a Golden? And no, it wouldn't necessarily help socialize Buddy because
socializing consists of taking your dog everywhere you can for the specific
purpose of getting him used to different situations. Training classes are a
great way to socialize; even if Buddy doesn't want to interact with other dogs
he should learn to accept the presense of other dogs.

Usually a dog will learn to accept a new dog in the house, and it is company,
but that won't automatically make Buddy like other dogs

He is very loud and barky when we leave
everyday.

Thats a Sheltie for you

Dogstar716
My Dogs: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/TheBoys.html

Old April 8th 04, 10:46 PM
Christy

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
We have a Sheltie and he is at home from 9 to 2:30 everyday. We are
both teachers so he is outside and with us all summer long. However,
"Buddy" is afraid of other dogs, we have in interact in play groups
and at our local park but he just sits and does not respond to
anything. I was wondering if we were to get another dog (Golden
Retreiver) would that help socialize Buddy more and more importantly
would he be more happy. He is very loud and barky when we leave
everyday.

Why do you think he is unhappy? The barking, that comes with the territory
for Shelties. Chances are once you leave, he goes to sleep. If you are
spending plenty of quality time with him, he is most likely pretty happy.
He may like another dog in the family (though from my experience, big
boisterous clunky dogs like Goldens are not particularly compatible with
Shelties) but there no reason to believe he needs to have a companion. If
YOU want another dog, that's another consideration. For what its worth, one
of my shelties would be fine as an only dog - he really only interacts with
my two other dogs and does not play with strange dogs. My other sheltie
likes most other dogs - the only one he really dislikes is a boisterous,
boingy aussie who doesn't speak dog well.

Christy

Old April 9th 04, 01:38 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
We have a Sheltie and he is at home from 9 to 2:30 everyday. We are
both teachers so he is outside and with us all summer long. However,
"Buddy" is afraid of other dogs, we have in interact in play groups
and at our local park but he just sits and does not respond to
anything. I was wondering if we were to get another dog (Golden
Retreiver) would that help socialize Buddy more and more importantly
would he be more happy. He is very loud and barky when we leave
everyday.

*Many* Shelties are barky, it's part of their nature. Which, doesn't mean
they can't be trained otherwise, but it's "just what they do"! :-)

One dog that behaves in a way you wish he didn't (being barky), will
possibly create two dogs that act that way. Bad habits, as well as some
good ones, will be learned between the dogs.

Some dogs really enjoy having another dog around to play/hang out with.
Some dogs do not. My youngster (Bodhi) would probably feel lost if he
didn't
have his housemate (Coda). However, the older dog (Coda) would probably
be just fine as an only dog.
Also, even though they may get along famously with their own "pack", it
doesn't mean that they'll want to start playing with strange dogs.
The best reason to get another dog is because YOU want one.
Shelly & The Boys:
Coda (4 1/2 yr old Collie-somethin')
Bodhi (18 1/2 mos. old Belgian Sheepdog)
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/deerranch.html

Old April 9th 04, 02:42 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Rob,
All the other posts have good advise. So I won't give any advise I'll
just menton what I did. My Saluki girl was so active I NEEDED another
dog for her to play with. I take her out running every weekend but that
didn't account for the week days. I found another Saluki that was
younger than her. She is the Queen :-) It didn't take long for them to
become buds. Now they both get all the exersize they need. One happy
Saluki owner. LOL

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Old April 9th 04, 01:13 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Frank Morris" wrote in message
Howdy Rob,
All the other posts have good advise. So I won't give any advise I'll
just menton what I did. My Saluki girl was so active I NEEDED another
dog for her to play with. I take her out running every weekend but that
didn't account for the week days. I found another Saluki that was
younger than her. She is the Queen :-) It didn't take long for them to
become buds. Now they both get all the exersize they need. One happy
Saluki owner. LOL

I agree here, if you have dogs that will play together! I know that I
would have to do a LOT more exercising w/ my Belgian
if he didn't have Coda to play & run around the yard with.
Now, when we had our GSD (Guiness), she could care less about playing.
And she & Coda hardly ever played at all, except for the occasional
"face fencing" in the living room, while she was lying down! So, if you
have two (or more) dogs that enjoy playing, they'll partially exercise
themselves. If not, you'll have two (or more!) dogs to exercise & train
seperately, which I do anyway! :-)
Shelly & The Boys

2 points about bad advice (in response to lynn kosmakos the dogmurderer) lynn kosmakos is a dog murderer Dog breeds 0 December 11th 03 03:32 AM
Bad Mad Dogs CaptRon Dog breeds 13 November 15th 03 02:39 PM
Some people need educating!! CPit_Dogs Dog breeds 12 November 13th 03 05:47 AM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM
another eevil pit bull story m_ i c h7 e-ae l Dog breeds 0 October 8th 03 05:15 AM