Tact

Old December 23rd 03, 07:43 PM
Suja

Default Tact

This is probably the wrong place to ask how to handle something
tactfully, but here goes. I've mentioned Axel the little Terrier
something humping machine that goes after the dogs that tell him off
when he attempts to hump him. After the last incident when he went
totally ballistic on a chocolate lab puppy (puppy was yelping and
running, tail tucked, with Axel growling and chasing after him), we
didn't see him for a couple of weeks and assumed that maybe his human
has finally decided to not bring him any more or that he had gone in to
get snipped.

Well, he's baaaack. Unfortunately, it is neither of the above reasons
that kept him from returning. Khan seriously dislikes this dog, and
attempts to intervene when he harasses other dogs continuously.
Although I would like nothing better than to see this little dog's butt
kicked (actually his mom's butt is probably the one that needs kicking),
I keep a lid on Khan's activities. It was very, very hard to do
yesterday because half of the dog park was just a mud pit and restricted
the space we had to move about in, and Axel kept insisting on getting in
Khan's face (1 attempted hump, 1 attempt to pee on his head, lots of
attempts to jump in his face, growling at him, etc.). I told his mom
that she really needs to control him better because his behavior could
get him into serious trouble with other dogs. Answer: Oh, he's never
been seriously hurt, he got his ear torn once, but that's it boggle.
This lady has been coming up with a series of excuses on why she can't
neuter the dog, and at this point, I think that she's never going to do
it. I also don't think she's ever going to do anything about his
behavior unless he seriously hurts another dog or another dog hurts him
first.

A few of us moved as far away from Axel as we could, because there were
little skirmishes breaking out around him that we did not want any of
our larger dogs to get involved in. And at the height of all this, she
breaks out a bag of treats!

Is there a tactful way to handle this?

Suja
P.S. We both arrived there at the same time. Had it not been for that,
I would have left as soon as I saw them coming.

Old December 23rd 03, 07:54 PM
Lee DeRaud

And the award for "Greatest Understatement in an Original Post" goes
to:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:43:37 -0500, Suja wrote:

This is probably the wrong place to ask how to handle something
tactfully, but here goes.

Lee

Old December 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
Child

"Suja" wrote in message news:kW0Gb.11515

Is there a tactful way to handle this?

No. Be rude. I know you can do it.
Give the owner your best Suja-Ice-Queen stare and tell him that if he
doesnt' teach his dog to stop harassing your dog, and other dogs then you
are going to (pick an option)

a) teach him yourself and it won't be pretty

b) allow Khan to teach him and it wont' be pretty

c) kick the owners ass out of the dog park (i know you are small but you
are big hearted)

Old December 23rd 03, 08:11 PM
Suja

Child wrote:

No. Be rude. I know you can do it.

But she's a *much* older woman, Beth. I don't think she's doing a lot
of this on purpose, just out of cluelessness.

Give the owner your best Suja-Ice-Queen stare and tell him that if he
doesnt' teach his dog to stop harassing your dog, and other dogs then you
are going to (pick an option)

a) teach him yourself and it won't be pretty

The problem is that he knows better than to pick on Khan, unless Khan is
already in a vulnerable position (like a down-stay that I put him in).
I don't feel entirely justified in butting into situations where my dog
is not involved, and a lot of people let their dogs take considerable
amount of abuse at Axel's hands, subscribing to the 'dogs will be dogs'
philosophy.

b) allow Khan to teach him and it wont' be pretty

I've insinuated as much, and she told me that she wished he would. I
don't think she understands that it could get both our dogs into a world
of trouble.

c) kick the owners ass out of the dog park (i know you are small but you
are big hearted)

Now, there's an idea. I *know* there are a lot of people who'd back me
up if I asked her to leave. Most of the other regulars are like me,
kind of hesitant to be rude, but itching to say/do something.

Suja