Hello to all, and asking for help

Old December 25th 03, 02:40 AM
dufchick

Default Hello to all, and asking for help

Hi Everyone,
Happy holidays to you all.

I have a Jack Russell (3) (named Tick) (very very calm nature) and a Bassett
(7 months) and a cat (named Harley). The Bassett (named Jasmine...we call
her Jazz) is already house trained and just a great sweet dog. She gets
along great with Tick and my 3 sons. My husband adores her and we cant hug
her and kiss her enough. The cat is not afraid of the dogs, she is
generally a friendly cat.

A problem that is beginning to worry me, is that whenever the cat is around,
Jazz constantly whines and cries at the cat. The very first time she saw the
cat, this is what she did. Now, however, she corners the cat and chases the
cat, and pulls the cat down from the table, when she jumps up there. I don't
really know if this is leading toward more violent behavior on Jazz's part,
or maybe just her maturing is changing the nature of her behavior. In
anycase, the cat stays put, and does not seem to understand what the heck is
going on. We have a baby gate at the hallway where the bedrooms are, so Jazz
cannot get past that point (she is too messy for my nice carpets). Jazz is
confined to the kitchen, living room, dining room, and deck and fenced in
yard and also, we have a doggie door so they can come and go as they please.
Sometimes, she chases the cat outside and this behavior continues all over
the back yard until the cat can get away.

I should also mention that while we were potty training Jazz, at the end,
the only time she would pee in the house was when the cat was around, and
always in the same spot under the dining room table. I almost considered it
marking her territory, but I am not sure that female dogs do that. Once I
figured that out, I scooted her outside when the cat was around and she
finally got the hint not to pee at all in the house. However, the whining
continues.

Can anyone offer advise or similar situations/solutions? Should I be
concerned?
Thanks very much

Allison

---