new dog questions

Old December 26th 03, 09:50 PM
asdf

Default new dog questions

Hello All,

I recently adopted a little mix breed pup from a local rescue.
She's probably about 10 weeks old now. Everything is going well - quite
a bit easier than I expected, actually, but she is my first dog and I
have some questions.
I'm wondering if I am giving her enough to drink. I give her a
bowl of water with each of her three meals, and put down a bowl of water
whenever she shows obvious signs of thirst (e.g. trying to drink melted
snow on the driveway). She pees every few hours during the day, but
seems to sleep all night (in her crate) without peeing (about 11:00pm to
7-ish am). I didn't think anything of it until I saw another post in
this NG indicating that most puppies will only go four hours *max*
without peeing. Its great I get to sleep through the night already, but
I want to make sure I'm not dehyrdrating the poor dog!
She's mouthy as puppies tend to be. She seems to have learned
that it is not a good idea to nip me or any of my children, but for some
reason seems to think of my wife as a chew toy. She is constantly
nipping at her pant legs, etc. My wife fends her off and growls 'NO!'
at her, but this doesn't seem to work (I did the same thing, and it
seems to have worked for me). She has also tried to wimper like a
littermate would, ignore it, etc. Nothing seems to dissuade her!
What's weird is she won't do this to my (toddler age) children. I was
worried that they'd receive the brunt of her teething and rough play
(and had planned to use baby gates to prevent it) but she really doesn't
bother them. Weird. Anything my wife should do?
I'm wondering how big she will get. When we got her she was worm
infested and had just been spayed and was all of 6.3 pounds (at 8-9
weeks). Two weeks later she is almost 10 pounds (and much bouncier and
her coat has improved!). She probably has some lab in her (webbed feet,
black coat) and golden retriever (the fur on top of her head and the
shape of her ears look golden to me). Still, she's pretty small
compared to same aged specimens of either of those breeds, so I'm
guessing there are other breeds in there as well. In any event, given
her breed mix and her current size any speculation on what her adult
size might be?

Thanks!