Fidget Saves The Day

Old December 26th 03, 04:50 AM
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Fidget Saves The Day

Tonight we had some friends over for Christmas. We went to their house
last year, so figured it was our turn this year. A lovely dinner (David
made osso bucco, a mixed-greens salad with a pomegranate vinaigrette,
and a cheesecake in a chocolate crust, with truffles along the bottom,
and raspberries on top) and then were sitting around drinking coffee.

Our house is eclectic, to say the least, and one of the things in the
living room is a large stuffed pig made out of old quilts (a gift from
my ex-mother-in-law many years ago), with a Santa hat on for the
holidays (she normally wears a hard hat. The pig's name is Sarah, but I
don't know why, she came with that name. She's butch) and it was next
to the chair I was sitting in.

The dogs had been wandering from person to person, and then finally
Humphrey lay down under the Christmas tree, but Fidget suddenly started
doing something really odd: he walked up to Sarah, did a double take,
and backed off like he'd seen something that scared him. But he kept
going back and then backing off. I called everyone's attention to it,
and David said "Sarah's been there for years, why's he acting that way
now?" and then we all realized that the candles on top of the stereo,
which was on the table just behind Sarah, had formed a puddle of wax so
large that it was starting to drip off the edge of the tray they were
on--not into the stereo, thank goodness, but down onto the table itself.
I quickly blew them out, and Fidget went back to being Fidget.

He's *never* done anything like that before, but it's a good thing he
did it then, or it would have gotten really messy. As it is we got wax
all over a Dupioni silk cocktail napkin. (And before anyone asks, I do
not know why we have Dupioni silk cocktail napkins. I didn't even know
what Dupioni silk was until a couple of months ago.)
--
Found Poetry (_Science News_, 14-Jun-2003): oldest _homo sapiens_ find
+-----------------------------------------+ ocean eddies' far-flung effects;