FDA to rethink animal feed rule due to mad cow

Old December 27th 03, 04:07 PM
Steve

Default FDA to rethink animal feed rule due to mad cow

WASHINGTON, Dec 24 (Reuters) - The Food and Drug Administration may tighten
its ban on feeding cattle remains to other mammals as a way to prevent any
more cases of mad cow disease, a senior agency official told Reuters on
Wednesday.

Since 1997, the FDA, which regulates livestock feed, has banned feeding
cattle remains to other cattle. But farmers are still allowed to feed pigs,
chicken and household pets this material as a form of cheap protein in their
diet.

Stephen Sundlof, director of FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said the
agency believes the Holstein cow in Washington state contracted mad cow
disease after eating infected animal feed as a young animal.

The infected cow was believed to be born in 1999, two years after the FDA
feed ban was in place.

"We will have to reassess in light of this case whether or not our feed
rules are continuing to be adequate or if we need to change," Sundlof said
in an interview.

Federal health officials are trying to track down all the farms,
slaughterhouses, beef processing plants and renderers that handled material
from the four-year-old dairy cow.

The FDA does not yet know what rendering plants received the central nervous
tissue from the cow after its slaughter. "I haven't gotten any confirmation
on who they are yet," Sundlof said.

Scientists believe mad cow disease is spread by the consumption of beef
contaminated with diseased brain or spinal column material.

U.S. beef processing plants typically send renderers cattle parts that are
unfit for food. This unwanted material can then be processed into a variety
of other products, such as pet food and animal feed.

Once the renderer is pinpointed in the Washington state case, a voluntary
recall may be necessary depending on what products the plant made, Sundlof
said. "If we found that they were going into product that they weren't
supposed to, obviously we would initiate a recall," he said.

If the renderer was using the infected material for such things as poultry
feed, no recall would be necessary, Sundlof said. Scientists don't believe
the disease can spread to poultry. 12/24/2003 01:25 p.m.CDT

Old December 27th 03, 06:24 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:07:33 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

[]
Scientists don't believe the disease can spread to poultry.

And I don't believe the disease can spread to humans, either. Or for
that matter, even spread from cow to cow.

And I'm *really* looking forward to those cheaper beef prices!

Beef. It's what's for dinner!

Yummy!

Agreed. Unfortunately, we know several people involved in the beef
industry (smaller time ranchers). And, being in Oregon (so close to
WA), they will undoubtedly suffer. Just a few days prior to the
news outbreak, my husband & friends were discussing how the Atkin's
diet has seemed to help rejuvenate the beef market. Now...
Makes me glad we raise our own, and have for years (and we know
exactly what they eat!).

The wholesaler where I buy meat for the dogs is one of the places that
rec'd some of the "potentially affected meat". I just buy poultry from
them, and will continue to do so.

What I'm curious to see is how the Red Cross will handle this now,
a whole new form to fill out when donating blood, yay!
Shelly (Former Vegetarian turned back to Red-Meat) & The Boys

Old December 27th 03, 06:39 PM

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
The wholesaler where I buy meat for the dogs is one of the places that
rec'd some of the "potentially affected meat". I just buy poultry from
them, and will continue to do so.

Unfortunately, if you eat store-bought meats and fish your
risk for listeriosis is a lot higher than your risk for BSE,
and with way-huge cutbacks in FDA inspections over the past
few years the incidence of listeriosis is way, way, way up.
I don't eat cold cuts anymore, but other than that my main
concern is making sure the dogs eat good stuff. No more hot
dog training treats, for example. The dog food we use
claims to use organic meats. Maybe it's because of what I
do for a living, but I figure it's prudent to mitigate the
risks you can and not worry too much about the ones you
can't.

Jobs White House predicted would be created during first 5 months
after last tax cuts: 1,530,000. Jobs created: 271,000

Old December 27th 03, 07:02 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys wrote:
The wholesaler where I buy meat for the dogs is one of the places that
rec'd some of the "potentially affected meat". I just buy poultry from
them, and will continue to do so.

Unfortunately, if you eat store-bought meats and fish your
risk for listeriosis is a lot higher than your risk for BSE,
and with way-huge cutbacks in FDA inspections over the past
few years the incidence of listeriosis is way, way, way up.

Oh agreed! My husband actually refuses to eat chicken at all.
Of course, the fact that his employer is across the street from
an chicken grower/egg plant has a great deal to do with that.

I think that the usage of things like prepackaged "Kid Friendly"
foods like small-sized hot dogs, Lunchables, and the like
might have a great deal to do with the increase in listeriosis cases
as well. Not to mention the fact that people seem to go to the doctor
for just about everything nowadays, so the likelihood of it being
recognized is greater, IMHO.
Having suffered from food poisoning twice now, I'm pretty careful
about how/what I eat. Blech. Not fun stuff at all.

We use various forms of jerky, liver brownies (cooked, of course!) and
string cheese for treats around here. I used to use hot dogs, but I don't
eat them, and their greasiness in my pocket makes me ill.
Shelly & The Boys