deaf dog

Old December 28th 03, 06:22 PM
Tracy Doyle

jdy wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have any advise on how to housetrain a deaf dog, approx 3-4
months old?

thanks jdy

Hi, jdy...

I have two deaf dogs, both house trained and obedience trained. The easy
answer is... just the same way you'd housetrain a hearing dog. Ears
don't have a lot to do with bowel and bladder control!

Do you have a hand signal for "NO?"

During the day, I keep un-housebroken puppies tied to me. It's important
to put them out:
1.) first thing in the morning
2.) right after eating and drinking
3.) after 10-15 minutes of playing/exercising
4.) after a nap

Until the dog is reasonably housebroken, it's important to go out with
them for potty breaks. Bring treats. When you take them outside, watch
them carefully. Just as they start to do their business, give them a
sign for "potty" (I use the ASL sign for "toilet"). When they finish, I
sign "GOOD DOG!" (thumbs up) and give a treat.

Since the puppy is tied to you in the house, you can see if he squats.
If he does, give a quick sign "NO" - don't make a big deal out of it -
and pick him up and run him outside. When he finishes outside, give him
the GOOD DOG sign and a treat. Then go back and clean up!

If you have a two-story house, don't be surprised if he housebreaks on
only ONE floor, but will have an accident in a strange room or a part of
the house he usually doesn't have access to. It takes a while for them
to generalize the idea of "we don't potty inside."

Here are some of my standard deaf dog resources:

The Deaf Dogs Education Action Fund:
http://www.deafdogs.org
(You'll find lots of training tips and helpful links there!)

There's a Yahoo group (e-mail list) you can join with more than 1200
deaf dog owners:

If you need some help with signs and want to use ASL (American Sign
Language), you may want to check out this site, the ASL Browser:
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Thanks for adopting a deaf dog!

Regards,

Tracy

Old December 28th 03, 06:55 PM
Tracy Doyle

Oh...

And I forgot to add - my puppies sleep in their crates at night. Once
they're housebroken and can be trusted not to do stupid things like eat
electrical cords and counter surf, then they can sleep outside their
crates. :-)

Tracy

Old December 30th 03, 06:52 AM
jdy

the dog does his business in his crate.

jdy
Tracy Doyle wrote in message
Oh...

And I forgot to add - my puppies sleep in their crates at night. Once
they're housebroken and can be trusted not to do stupid things like eat
electrical cords and counter surf, then they can sleep outside their
crates. :-)

Tracy

4 Mo. Old Deaf Pitbull in Need Cubbyrat Dog rescue 0 November 13th 04 07:07 PM
deaf dog Skippi Dog activities 2 September 29th 03 12:13 PM
Crosspost by req: Deaf Aussie lost in PA Sionnach Dog rescue 0 August 12th 03 03:02 PM
Crosspost by req: Deaf Aussie lost in PA Sionnach Dog rescue 0 August 12th 03 03:02 PM
Crosspost by req: Deaf Aussie lost in PA Sionnach Dog behavior 0 August 12th 03 03:02 PM