Sudden, mystifying change in Chow/Shephard behavior... 8-(

Old December 28th 03, 06:11 PM
Chris Olive

Default Sudden, mystifying change in Chow/Shephard behavior... 8-(

We have (up until recently) an absolutely spectacular (in our minds
anyway!) dog who is a Chow - German Shepard mix. The "mix" in many ways
left him with nearly all desirable qualities. He doesn't have any of
the smug Chow disposition, but neither is he "authoritative" like a
German Shepard might be. (Don't know for sure - have never had a GS.)
His disposition is more "Lassie" like. Definitely smart and very good,
protective and extremely tolerant around children. His stature is one
of a GS with a Chow coat and marble tougue (longer GS body, GS hips and
snout.)

His behavior up until recently was certainly "secure" behavior. He has
come and gone as he pleased (inside and outside) and when inside seeks
whatever place he wants, usually very quickly and lies down quietly. He
doesn't bark unnecessarily and isn't easily alarmed. His sense is keen
and is alarmed when there is real reason to be. Otherwise, he has
behaved "kingly" - he hasn't HAD to have our attention, though he has
gotten plenty of it. He doesn't go off alone, but often "close" but not
like you would think he's seeking attention.

All this was true until very recently and suddenly his behavior has
changed DRAMTICALLY. He's constantly following someone around in the
house to the point where he's become a nusiance. He lays down in places
that are inconvenient for us and often lays right up against someone.
His "kingly," secure demeanor has been replace by something that reminds
me of an insecure puppy. He acts like he can't decide what he wants to
do or where he wants to lay down; he'll pace back and forth and walk in
circles like he's trying to decide to lay down, then decides not to,
then decides to again, back and forth. SO different than before. And
even if he does finally lay down, he's restless; he gets back up and has
this pathetic look on his face like he does when he wants a walk, but
now it's all the time. And then back to following people around
again... 8-(

It seems like he is now insecure and demanding attention too. In times
past when we let him out on the porch, he would, as usual, be very
content for long periods of time. Now he goes to the door and licks and
grinds the door with his teeth, demanding to be let back in. At night,
he used to lay at the foot of the stairs - his favorite spot. Now he
goes into the boys' room and lays right beside one of our boys...

We're absolutely mystified. He's gone from the best dog anyone could
want to a real pain in the neck. (We still treat him well during this
puzzling time however.)

Some things we've pondered which could be clues to his behavior:

o He's no longer our only pet. We recently accquired a cockotil (bird)
for one of our sons (who loves birds). Maxx (the dog) has taken cursory
notice. We wonder if he is jealous, though Maxx is treated no
differently. He is not OBVIOUSLY jealous, but we wonder.

o We had to make a sudden change in living. We moved from a ranch home
with a large backyard to an apartment in the city. We didn't want to
get rid of Maxx, but the dog is large and the apartment is small (my
family barely fits.) A dog this large deserves more space. We have to
walk him whereas before he was low maintenance - in and out of the yard
whenever he wanted. We've been here 6 months and we wonder if he's just
had enough of being inside so much whereas before he would be outside
80% of the time. Maybe after 6 months he just has snapped?

o He recently had a large tick attached which we didn't find until the
tick was rather large. I've heard those can "do things" to animals that
involve behavior changes. Truth or myth?

None of the above really seem to us to be a good enough explanation for
the swing from "kingly" to "wimpy," insecure, and "pathetic" looking.
It's difficult to paint a picture here with words at the difference
we've seen. Could there be health issues that he's trying to "tell" us?

We're mystified.

Chris
-----
newsbot (at) sbcglobal (dot) net