Leashing Pulling Problem

Old December 29th 03, 06:55 PM
Richard Velez

Default Leashing Pulling Problem

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem with my 10 month old puppy. She's a Lab/Chow mix.
More Lab then Chow.

The problem is, she's pulling alot on the leash when we're outside, in the
house or the building hallways she's cool with no problem. Only outside.

Any help on training her to stop pulling would be great!

Thanks,
Rickie

Old December 29th 03, 07:49 PM
Chloe's Mom

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:55:59 -0500, "Richard Velez"
wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem with my 10 month old puppy. She's a Lab/Chow mix.
More Lab then Chow.

The problem is, she's pulling alot on the leash when we're outside, in the
house or the building hallways she's cool with no problem. Only outside.

Any help on training her to stop pulling would be great!

Thanks,
Rickie

What type of training method do you prefer using?

The 3 ways I was taught was

1. When dog pulls, pull back with a quick, sharp 2 handed pull.

2. Always leave slack in the leash. If dog goes to the end, stop,
let out a bit of slack and if he continues to go to the end of the
leash, stop and wait and don't move until the dog relaxes and looks
back at you.

3. WHen the dog pulls, turn aroudn and walk the other direction.

And my 4th piece of advice - look into obedience training in a form
that you are comfortable with. Find what works for you and then sign
yourself and your dog up for training. The key to training a dog
successfully is to train the owner how to work w/ the dog. Once you
learn then you can teach your dog just about anything.

jayjay
http://home.comcast.net/~jennifer.is...b/c_index.html

Old December 29th 03, 08:39 PM
Dserthorse

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem with my 10 month old puppy. She's a Lab/Chow mix.
More Lab then Chow.

The problem is, she's pulling alot on the leash when we're outside, in the
house or the building hallways she's cool with no problem. Only outside.

Any help on training her to stop pulling would be great!

Thanks,
Rickie

You could try one of the headcollars. Since rather than pulling against her
neck, you can then pull her head around, this can inhibit pulling. Some dogs
hate them, though. All dogs I've seen don't love them when they are first put
on. You need to get them fitted properly, too. Have your vet show you how.

I actually prefer to not use "gadgets" of any kind if I don't need to,
although I frequently will use food as a motivator.

Why is your dog pulling? To go faster, or to see something/someone? Do you head
somewhere when you take her out? Does she get enough exercise?

If she just gets excited and wants to go faster, I think you could take a
handful of treats, and when she first pulls, call her back to you, then reward
with a treat. Then, make the treat reward every other time, and just praise
every other time. Etc. Some of that depends on how motivated your dog is by
treats, and how motivated she is by praise.

We used to do an about face with a training collar (choke chain) on a dog that
pulled, to teach the dog that she/he better be paying attention to the handler,
but now most people try to use a more positive approach. After my experience
with Ruby, I think the results are just as good, but it takes a little more
patience, dedication and creativity on the part of the handler to use positive
methods.

Laurel w/ Ruby- GSD

Old December 30th 03, 01:04 AM
dejablues

I tried the loose leash thing, different collars, but the only thing that
worked was using two leashes, the second a 6-ft one that did a half-hitch
around the dogs midsection. When he pulled, it tightened up on his belly and
he stopped pulling. I got this idea from a hunting dog website but I can't
seem to find the url at the moment.