Sad basenji story

Old December 30th 03, 04:25 AM
RedPenn

Default Sad basenji story

I have read a few threads here about basenji dogs.
People have mentioned their lack of "doggy smell" because they groom
themselves, their lack of common sense with vehicles because they're a
chasing dog, their enthusiasm for life (read nosiness and delight in
ripping and tearing).

The particular idea I want to tell about is the question on their need
for companionship. Yes, they are (well, mine is) a loving dog. My dog
loves to be as near to us as he can be. And writers here have advised
would-be owners to carefully consider things like whether or not to
crate the dog, and whether or not they can spend enough time with the
dog to keep it happy.
Here's my story, as a further caution...

When we chose our 'boy', we knew about the climbing, the hole digging,
the chewing - and thought it no problem. My partner knew I wanted a
companion pet, but did not express to me his reluctance to have a dog
(of any breed) inside the house. Where I was/am quite happy at the
thought of sharing the house (in deed the bedroom!) with my 'boy', my
partner put down his foot.
So my basenji became on outdoors dog with kennel and petbed at the
back door.

Now, a career shift has meant I am out of town four nights a week. I
get to see my 'boy' only at weekends. And he is Miserable, to the
point of stress-related sores (where he has over-licked his paws for
comfort). He has had antibiotic tablets and creams to treat the sores
and they have healed.

But I know he is going to miss me all over again when the new academic
term takes me back out of town, and I am as miserable about it as he
has been.

Please, people, when selecting any pet (but especially a basenji, as
is mine) predict your own lifestyle changes and take into
consideration the effect such changes may have on whether you will be
able to continue to do the right thing by the pet.
Sob!
Old December 30th 03, 05:58 AM
AndreaS

"RedPenn" wrote
snip
So my basenji became on outdoors dog with kennel and petbed at the
back door.

I'm gritting my teeth here for multiple reasons.

Now, a career shift has meant I am out of town four nights a week. I
get to see my 'boy' only at weekends. And he is Miserable, to the
point of stress-related sores (where he has over-licked his paws for
comfort). He has had antibiotic tablets and creams to treat the sores
and they have healed.

But I know he is going to miss me all over again when the new academic
term takes me back out of town, and I am as miserable about it as he
has been.

So what are you going to do?

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old December 30th 03, 06:29 AM
Child

"RedPenn" wrote in message

[...]

You obviously need to take your own advice.

Perhaps its time to rehome your boy. Or rethink both your career and your
boyfriend.

Old January 2nd 04, 01:18 AM
RedPenn

Andrea, and Child...
Thank you for your feedback! Much apprediated.

You may be relieved to know that for this academic year I am hoping to
find accommodation, in the other city, which will permit a dog. I've
been warned it's highly unlikely, but I am going to try.

You may also be happier about the situation to know that my partner
(of 32 years) has agreed to walk the dog each night for me, to give
him some stimulation and exercise.

Partner and dog do get on well together; but partner never had a dog
in his life apart from a two-year stint as a farm woker, where he had
three working dogs, which were definitely out-doorsey.

Life for dog is less bleak than my first post seemed. I wrote it in a
panic at finding the little sores, which have healed completely, and
with him living with me if it's possible i don't foress any
reoccurence.

Once again, thank you for your interest and obvious appreciation of a
dog's/basenji's needs.

Nice Story Sitmeanssit Dog behavior 0 December 17th 03 08:55 AM
Nice Story Sitmeanssit Dog behavior 0 December 17th 03 08:55 AM
Nice Story Sitmeanssit Dog behavior 0 December 17th 03 08:55 AM
Nice Story Sitmeanssit Dog behavior 0 December 17th 03 08:55 AM
FlackJacket story is lie! KWBrown Dog breeds 0 July 28th 03 08:45 PM