toy poodle with mats--any guidence?

Old December 30th 03, 07:20 PM
Rox

Default toy poodle with mats--any guidence?

I have a 10 year old toy poodle named CC that I inherited about 4 months
ago.

for a visual you can go to www.xakeridi.com/roxaenne/ccindex.htm

She's a wonderful little dog, but I have some concerns about her. CC gets
little mats all up and down her front legs (and only her front legs) from
licking. I don't know if it can really be considered obsessive licking.
She does it for 3 or 4 minutes at a time and it's frequent and noticeable.

So how much is too much licking? And what can be done about the mats? I've
had cats and dogs in the past but all of them had smooth coats. I don't care
about the aesthetics--I'm only concerned that the mats will pull on her
skin, or make it necessary to shave them off. It's WAY too cold for her
already having less hair would only make it worse for her. She's had some
upheaval in the recent past.

If you want the background....

When I got her she hadn't been to the vet in years. She had old tags still
on so I called them--it was so long ago they don't have records from that
far back. She came to me when her original owner died and the family wanted
to put her down so (and this is a direct quote) she wouldn't "be a drain on
the estate." A member of my family worked for CC owner and offered to take
her to keep them from having her having her killed. In the process of
asking all our friends if they wanted a little poodle CC decided she wanted
to live with me. I asked my landlord if this would be okay and got a weird
run around. At first I was told it was no problem so I moved the dog in.
After 3 weeks the landlord's wife found out about the dog and told me I had
to get rid of CC. I immediately gave notice I would be moving out. Then
they said I could stay if I promised to keep CC in a cage (with a lock no
less) and let them raise the rent. I had a new apartment, was packed and
moved 2 weeks later. My current landlord and I walk our dogs together in
the morning--he has a very sweet Husky. So the ending is happy. But I can
understand with that kind of massive change that any animal might feel
anxious.