Has this dog been abused?

Old January 2nd 04, 04:29 PM

Default Has this dog been abused?

I have just acquired an "unwanted" dog for free. The person who gave the
animal to me said she was "finding a home for it for a friend" but I suspect
she got it for free too and decided not to keep it, for she has had it at
her house for several months now. The dog was described thus: Pure bred
female long-haired two-year-old Jack Russell Terrier - wormed and all shots.
The dog looks considerably older than the stated age and has no papers
relating to breeding or vetinry care. I have a call into the previous owner
to ask why the absence of paperwork but as yet no response.

The dog exhibits some fearful characteristics and my question is to ask the
group if they believe this dog has been abused and what rehabilitation is
advised.

When approached the dog lies low and rolls over on to her back acting timid.
If the lower area between the legs is petted the dog lies still, but moving
up the body to the chest, or if petting the neck area, the dog whelps as if
in pain and snaps and urinates.

The dogs bite is not strong and a finger can be put down the throat when she
bites to stop her. She then inevitably runs away but will soon return
seemingly friendly. She seems to be needy of affection and loves to lick my
face and shows no fear until the upper-body is again touched.

I hope someone may be able to advise so I may make our relationship a little
happier for both of us.

Mike Stevens

Has this dog been abused? Dog behavior 0 January 2nd 04 04:29 PM
Has this dog been abused? Dog behavior 0 January 2nd 04 04:29 PM
Abused Dog Phyllis-Take out mydog first Dog behavior 0 September 29th 03 03:26 PM