HELP: My dog chases lights & shadows

Old January 3rd 04, 07:41 AM
VacationRenters.com

Default HELP: My dog chases lights & shadows

We have a 1 yr old Golden Retriever. He has been well trained to do the
usual, sit, place, come and all that good stuff. One day my daughter was
playing with a laser pointer and the dog took a keen interest. Well ever
since then he has become pretty much an idiot about lights and shadows .. he
chases them around the house, jumps on things in chase of the illusive
light, he even chewed a knot out of the deck where a beam of light was
shining. Please any suggestions .. anyone with a similar problem? Thanks -
the message below is for SPAMMERS only, nice people can ignore!

--
Tim
http://www.vacationrenters.com

Pursuant to U.S. code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227,
and consistent with Oregon State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial
E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting fee of $500 USD.
E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html for details.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:42 PM
Tricia9999

We have a 1 yr old Golden Retriever. He has been well trained to do the
usual, sit, place, come and all that good stuff. One day my daughter was
playing with a laser pointer and the dog took a keen interest. Well ever
since then he has become pretty much an idiot about lights and shadows .. he
chases them around the house, jumps on things in chase of the illusive
light, he even chewed a knot out of the deck where a beam of light was
shining.

I have seen more neuroses created because of these laser lights. Keep it away
from him obviously. When he goes into his behavior, try to distract him,
redirect him to another behavior. I don't really have much else to offer - it
can be a problem with many dogs. I hope others can offer more insight. I
recently saw a BC who was constantly snapping at things in the air that weren't
there - the kids had been playing with this laser light with him. He was
obsessed.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
Melissa S. Frye

"Tricia9999" wrote in message

I have seen more neuroses created because of these laser lights.

The light is only a trigger. Light chasing is a classic examle of OCD in
dogs - and will manifest with or without having seen a laser light.

Fly snapping, as you mentioned in your other example is another example.
(Also licking, Spinning etc).

These condidtions are something that I really recommend a visit to a
behaviorist and medication to treat - with medication the outcomes tend to
be quite good, and they are resistant to behaviorsal modification alone, as
they are to some extent a self-reinforcing behvior.

Unfortunatly correcting the dog often leads to them simply engagaing in the
bahavior is a way less likely to attract attention, Not in eliminating it.

IF you aren't visiting a behaviorist, thedistraction and rewarding of
alternate behaviors is a good course. Also up your dog's exercise.

Great article last year in JAMVA on OCD - I highly recommend it to trainers.
*****************

J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002 Nov 15;221(10):1445-52. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003 Jan 15;222(2):151; author reply 151-2.

Clinical features and outcome in dogs and cats with obsessive-compulsive
disorder: 126 cases (1989-2000).

Overall KL, Dunham AE.

Center for Neurobiology and Genetics-Psychiatry Department, School of
Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To determine clinical features and outcome in dogs and cats with
obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). DESIGN: Retrospective study. ANIMALS:
103 dogs and 23 cats. PROCEDURES: Records of patients with OCD were analyzed
for clinical features, medication used, extent of behavior modification, and
outcome. RESULTS: Most dogs affected with OCD had been obtained from
breeders. Male dogs significantly outnumbered females (2:1). Female cats
outnumbered male cats by 2:1 in a small sample. Most affected dogs lived in
households with 2 or more humans and other dogs or cats, and had some formal
training. Client compliance with behavior modification was high. A
combination of behavior modification and medication resulted in a large
decrease in intensity and frequency of OCD in most animals. Clomipramine was
significantly more efficacious for treatment in dogs than was amitriptyline.
Only 1 dog and 1 cat were euthanatized because of OCD during the study.
CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: OCD in dogs does not appear to be
associated with lack of training, lack of household stimulation, or social
confinement. In cats, OCD may be associated with environmental and social
stress. Obsessive-compulsive disorder appears at the time of social maturity
and may have sporadic and heritable forms. With appropriate treatment
(consistent behavior modification and treatment with clomipramine),
frequency and intensity of clinical signs in most dogs and cats may decrease
by 50%. Success appears to depend on client understanding and compliance
and the reasonable expectation that OCD cannot be cured, but can be well
controlled.

PMID: 12458615 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
************************************
Melissa

Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old January 3rd 04, 06:11 PM
Rocky

VacationRenters.com said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Please any suggestions .. anyone with a similar problem?

A friend has a Rottweiler nicknamed "Shadowchaser" who first
became obsessed with light and shadows on an agility course.
This was a sunny day when small clouds kept passing overhead.

The obsession has continued for years, but has decreased
significantly with continued distraction on the owners part.
When the Rottie starts playing with shadows on a walk, for
example, the leash goes on if verbal distraction or treats don't
work. In agility, the run ends.