questions about 2 dogs; toy / bone ownership

Old January 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
Dave

Default questions about 2 dogs; toy / bone ownership

Hi all,

I have a 9 year old german shepherd mix female (Dana). I just got a
german shepherd mix male (Riku) from a shelter a few weeks ago, he is
10 weeks old now.

I am not sure how I should deal with this, if I should deal with it at
all. When I get a new toy and throw it on the ground, Dana gets it
first, and growls and kinda-snaps (doesn't bite) at Riku when he goes
for it. He usually ends up barking at her, then gives up and does
something else. Eventually when dana gets bored with it, Riku is
allowed to get it.

Same thing with rawhide chews. If I give them both a chew, Dana
usually eyes Riku eating it, runs over and takes it. Then Riku barks a
bunch at her. I usually tell him to be quiet, eventually he quiets
down. Sometimes I go get the bone Dana took, and give it back to Riku.

Today, Riku was chewing on a bone, and when Dana came over to get it,
he got up and ran away with it. When Dana had him against the couch
with the bone, he growled and bit at Dana aggressively when she tried
to take it. then Dana bark/bit towards him and he backed off, but kept
barking at her.

What I am most concerned with, is when Riku is older, bigger and
stronger, I don't want him to get into a real fight with Dana, who is
getting older but is still quite agressive (shes not fixed, Riku is
though)..

How should I deal with this? Should I just let them go through the
motions and not interfere, or at what point should I interfere? Is it
OK that I take a bone from Dana and give it to Riku (Dana has a bone
available too). Dana seems to be doing a decent job of teaching him
who's boss.. and when he tries to take a bone she's eating, she
sometimes makes him run away shreiking (but not bleeding).. they have
only been together a couple weeks now. How long will this play for
supremacy go on? how will he act when he's bigger and older? Should I
scold him for barking at her after she's taken his bone, or should he
be allowed to 'vent' this way?

Well people, thanks for any light you can shed on this or any links
you think would help. I hope I'm not overthinking this stuff, just
want to make sure me and my dogs will be safe and happy in the long
run.

Happy new year,
Dave