puppies killing each other!

Old January 6th 04, 12:26 AM

Default puppies killing each other!

Hello,

I recently adopted a puppy (about 12 weeks old - she's been home
for about a month now) and through strange and unexpected circumstances,
have just adopted another (I know, not the best scenario). The new
puppy is almost 9 weeks old.
We just got the new puppy home and the older puppy is absolutely
brutalizing her! The older puppy is playing, but I'm not sure the
younger is having fun. She isn't yelping or anything, but seems to be
trying to get away from the older. I tied the older one to her lead in
the kitchen for a bit (just to give the new puppy a breather and have
her get a chance to explore her new surroundings) and the younger pup
did approach the older pup and instigated play, but quickly backed off
when it got rough again.
So, my questions is, how rough should I let it get? I assumed
(perhaps incorrectly) that the younger pup would yelp if things got too
intense and that would cause the older pup to back off a bit. The
younger pup, however, doesn't yelp and the older pup doesn't relent!
Should I just let them work it out themselves? Or should I intervene if
the older puppy starts mauling the younger pup again (even if the
younger pup stays quiet about it).
Thanks for any advice!