Is she a dog or a cat?

Old January 8th 04, 09:27 AM
Conan Kelly

Default Is she a dog or a cat?

This is not a negative behavior that I want to curb, I'm just curious why
some dogs (if not all) do this. Most of the time after Morgan goes pottie
on grass (usually when she poops, I might have seen her do it once when she
pee-ed -- don't remember), she scratches at the grass almost as if she were
tring to bury it, like a cat. But she does it so carelessly that alot of
times she isn't even scratching toward it, she is just scratching in any
direction. I'm not very familiar with dogs. I didn't think dogs did this.
Our last dog did this before we put her down and now she does it. I thought
it was something that they picked up from our 9 cats, but I've noticed other
dogs doing this and I've asked 1 or 2 owners about it. They couldn't
explain it. Do any of you know dog behavior and evolution well enough to
know why they do this?

Thank you,

Conan Kelly

Old January 8th 04, 03:19 PM
Sionnach

she scratches at the grass almost as if she were
tring to bury it, like a cat. But she does it so carelessly that alot of
times she isn't even scratching toward it, she is just scratching in any
direction.

She's marking territory- it has nothing to do with wanting to cover the
poop; on the contrary, she's spreading her scent as widely as possible.

Old January 14th 04, 06:26 AM
Monika I. Neszvecsko

"Sionnach" wrote in message
she scratches at the grass almost as if she were
tring to bury it, like a cat. But she does it so carelessly that alot

of
times she isn't even scratching toward it, she is just scratching in any
direction.

She's marking territory- it has nothing to do with wanting to cover the
poop; on the contrary, she's spreading her scent as widely as possible.

As if that was needed! G

Ever wondered why dogs, that have such a keen sence of smell in the first
place, litterally run to put their nose in other dog's crap? Can't they
sniff, whatever they are driven to smell, from a distance?

Monika