ghetto skijoring

Old January 8th 04, 11:44 PM
culprit

Default ghetto skijoring

for some stupid reason, i decided that i would take both dogs for a walk.
together. in 6 inches of snow. in the process, i developed a new sport.
ghetto skijoring. see, i've been meaning to buy harnesses, and skis. but
you know, house shopping, work, it's easy to get distracted. then i
realized that i didn't need all that fancy equipment. the dogs were so
excited by the snow that they just hauled me down the hill and we were off.

(no, i didn't actually let them pull me more than a couple inches, i didn't
want to hurt them.)

but next time it snows, i'll have the harnesses, damn it. i'm gonna perfect
this sport. i'll need to try some shoes with less tread next time, perhaps
some Nikes? maybe i can practice on a skateboard during the summer.

-kelly

Old January 9th 04, 12:21 AM

culprit wrote:
the dogs were so
excited by the snow that they just hauled me down the hill and we were off.

We call that "shoejoring," but it usually involves gravel
and some wildlife.

maybe i can practice on a skateboard during the summer.

gifs!

"The US budget is out of control." -- Goldman, Sachs
Old January 9th 04, 03:04 AM
culprit

"Debbie the Underdogged" wrote in
message ...

http://www.dogscooter.com/

and she's right here in Seattle. Her Rottie Ruby is a doll.

i actually tried this at a pit bull project get-together. one of her
scootering pals gave a demo with a Malamute, then let us harness our dogs up
to try it out. Manu just kept trying to run back to me on the scooter. he
didn't seem to get that he was supposed to run *away* from me.
"but mom, i want to be with you!"

he was much better at pulling weight, where he got to run *towards* me.

i think i need to find someone who's dog already "gets it" to show him how.
isn't that how they teach sled dogs? by letting them run with experienced
dogs to "teach" them?

-kelly

Old January 9th 04, 03:51 AM
Debbie the Underdogged

says...
"Debbie the Underdogged" wrote in
message ...

http://www.dogscooter.com/

and she's right here in Seattle. Her Rottie Ruby is a doll.

i actually tried this at a pit bull project get-together. one of her
scootering pals gave a demo with a Malamute, then let us harness our dogs up
to try it out. Manu just kept trying to run back to me on the scooter. he
didn't seem to get that he was supposed to run *away* from me.
"but mom, i want to be with you!"

he was much better at pulling weight, where he got to run *towards* me.

i think i need to find someone who's dog already "gets it" to show him how.
isn't that how they teach sled dogs? by letting them run with experienced
dogs to "teach" them?

I bought a scooter from Daphne (just because I wanted one - a Blauwerk)
and just for kicks, when I went to pick it up from her, we harnessed
Laika (my 6 pound poodle) to it to see what he would do. Daphne "rode"
(she mostly kicked the scooter so that Laika didn't have to pull too
hard) and I walked out in front calling Laika. He came right along with
me. He caught on pretty quickly, although I'd have to lose about 140
pounds before he could pull both me and the scooter :-). You might
email Daphne: she's really nice.
--
Debbie the Underdogged das at spamcop dot net
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."
Old January 9th 04, 04:11 AM

culprit wrote:
i think i need to find someone who's dog already "gets it" to show him how.
isn't that how they teach sled dogs?

That's why I bought Image. It's how youngsters are taught
to be smart sleddogs, but frankly they just know how to pull
anyway. Pretty often they're started pulling logs, tires,
etc., which gets them used to the harness (and that the
harness means it's okay to pull) and to pulling something
behind them. There are skills beyond just pulling that
sleddogs need to have and that's what they learn from a more
experienced dog. But it's a pretty remarkable thing to hook
up a dog for the first time and have them just start
pulling.

Slightly on-topic, someone recently posted to a mailing list
that Siberians run and run and run and run because one day
they might get to pull a sled. Malamutes rest and rest and
rest and rest because one day they might have to pull a
sled.

"The US budget is out of control." -- Goldman, Sachs
Old January 9th 04, 06:56 AM
Child

"Debbie the Underdogged" wrote in
message ...
In article ,
says...
[...]

you know Daphne personally? Thats great - she was very instrumental in my
getting a scooter. Quite a lady.

One of the things I like about her most is that she is all about the
"recreational, fun with your dog" thing, instead of the "competitive" thing.
She really encourages people with all sorts of dogs, fast and slow, to just
get out there and have fun.

Old January 10th 04, 05:42 AM
Debbie the Underdogged

In article , beth@NOT-SO-bad-dawgs-
in-ak.com says...

"Debbie the Underdogged" wrote in
message ...
http://www.dogscooter.com/

and she's right here in Seattle. Her Rottie Ruby is a doll.

you know Daphne personally? Thats great - she was very instrumental in my
getting a scooter. Quite a lady.

Don't know her well, but spent a very fun afternoon with her and Ruby
when I bought my scooter. Someday I hope to have a dogs to actually do
dogscootering with (one 6 pound poodle and 2 geriatric 9 pounders who
can barely walk, never mind pull, do not a scooter team make).

One of the things I like about her most is that she is all about the
"recreational, fun with your dog" thing, instead of the "competitive" thing.
She really encourages people with all sorts of dogs, fast and slow, to just
get out there and have fun.

Yeah, I'd never even considered dog scootering before, but after my
encounter with her I'm all fired up about it.

ghetto skijoring culprit Dog behavior 12 January 9th 04 06:56 AM
ghetto skijoring culprit Dog behavior 0 January 8th 04 11:44 PM