barking training

Old January 9th 04, 12:49 AM
Montgomery Farr

Default barking training

This has probably been addressed several times here - but I can't find any
of the posts besides one that I can't really follow. Someone in the
neighborhood recently left us a note about one of our dogs barking and we
originally passed it off as a new neighbor or someone having a bad day since
they live across the street from the neighbors behind us and several houses
up and none of our actual neighbors have ever complained. However after
having talked to the person we found out they've noticed it for a while and
tried to hold off complaining until they had a reasonable solution, and as
we walked up the street that these people live on after a snowstorm sure
enough dog #3 was barking away at absolutely nothing and clearly taking
advantage of our not being home.

We have 3 dogs, all of which bark, but only one barks loudly, continuously
and mostly when we're gone - just sits on the back porch barking. The dogs
have free run of the yard and house and we do rely on them to alert us to
things that are actually going on in the yard or driveway (15 pounds of fury
woke us up in time to scare off a guy stealing the tires off of one of our
car). Does anyone have experience try ing to reduce the random or just for
fun barking in a situation like this? I've seen an outdoor 'sonic
corrector' that seems to make an irritating noise when they bark -- has this
worked for anyone or does it just add an irritating noise to the commotion?
We also looked the citronella collars, but we don't want the barker to be
punished for other sounds or for the smaller dogs barking near her. So far
I've only found citronella collars that are trigger by a microphone -- Has
anyone had luck with these or found one that is triggered by a vibration
like some of the shock collars? Does anyone know if the citronella stings
their eyes or just annoys them with the strong smell? We're not interested
in using a shock collar.

thanks,
anna