Will tenant Dog scratch up Flooring? Lab/ Dalmation

Old August 21st 03, 04:53 PM
lbbs

Default Will tenant Dog scratch up Flooring? Lab/ Dalmation

We are considering renting to a couple with 50 lbs Lab -Dalmatian. They
say the dog is does not even know how to bark and is very tame. I a
concern that the dog will scratch up the vinyl tiles (are delicate) through
out the longs hallway, kitchen and dining room. If a part of the floor is
scratched up I basically have to re floor half of the upstairs, because I
can't find matching tiles anymore (bought 3 year ago). I am also
concern about the dog making too much noise, that could upset the basement
tenant. Anyone with experience with dogs & floors wear? I have never
had a dog, so I don't know what to expect. Any advise.
..

Old August 21st 03, 07:36 PM
mom2adog

Put in a security deposit amount (refundable, minus a $50 cleaning
charge, if no damage) into your lease. Something hefty enough in total
security amount that will really cover your expenses if there is
damage. Also, put in a clause that the tenant will have to put down
throw rugs or carpet runners *if* the downstairs neighbor complains
about any noise. I rent a townhouse (carpeted) and have a 61 lb.
golden retriever. I get the carpets cleaned about every 6 months or
so. Tracking in dirt has been her only offense. I take my shoes off
when I step into the house.

As for noise, I lived in an apt. (first floor) with my dog, and a single
mom and 2 kids lived above us. Talk about NOISE!! They couldn't even
tell I had a dog. And they were sooooo noisy. The apt. mgmt. said my
apt. was one of the cleanest they EVER saw when we moved out. In
contrast, some college guys who used to live above us before the single
mom and kids did $5,000 worth of damage. Brand new carpet had to be
replaced, along with mini-blinds and whole place had to be re-painted.
People do FAR more damage to places than a dog ever would and people
tend to be noisier too, what with stereos, and clomping feet in the house!!