Funny Greenie behavior

Old January 10th 04, 03:55 PM
Anne

Default Funny Greenie behavior

When I give my dog something to chew on---say, a Denta-Ring or a
rawhide bone---she'll usually take it (she has to follow a command
first) and start working on it. But with Greenies, she has a different
behavior. She *has* to take it out to the yard and bury it. She'll
walk around the house, holding it between her teeth, until I let her
out (just now she gave me a tiny whine to remind me she needed to take
it outside). I don't think she's ever taken a Greenie and immediately
started chewing on it.

She buries them in the yard, and sometimes she'll take a mud-caked one
out and play with it. I've grabbed one, washed it off, and offered it
to her again, but only occasionally has she actually started chewing
on it.

What is it about Greenies?

Anne

A picture of Ginger:
http://www.geocities.com/anwinesp/Ginger_pix.html
Old January 10th 04, 06:10 PM
FurPaw

Anne wrote:
When I give my dog something to chew on---say, a Denta-Ring or a
rawhide bone---she'll usually take it (she has to follow a command
first) and start working on it. But with Greenies, she has a different
behavior. She *has* to take it out to the yard and bury it. She'll
walk around the house, holding it between her teeth, until I let her
out (just now she gave me a tiny whine to remind me she needed to take
it outside). I don't think she's ever taken a Greenie and immediately
started chewing on it.

She buries them in the yard, and sometimes she'll take a mud-caked one
out and play with it. I've grabbed one, washed it off, and offered it
to her again, but only occasionally has she actually started chewing
on it.

What is it about Greenies?

I don't know about greenies... my dogs don't have a special reaction to
them. But Dylan often "buries" toys or rawhide chewies... not outside,
though. She walks around the house until she thinks no one is looking and
the deposits them behind a plant, or in a closet, or perhaps in a shoe. If
we want to drive her nuts, we follow her around as she's looking for a
hiding place; she can't "hide" her toy with anyone else in the room.

A picture of Ginger:
http://www.geocities.com/anwinesp/Ginger_pix.html

I think she's a GBD: Great Brown Dog. Looks like a sweetheart!

FurPaw
--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old January 11th 04, 12:56 AM
culprit

"Anne" wrote in message
om...
When I give my dog something to chew on---say, a Denta-Ring or a
rawhide bone---she'll usually take it (she has to follow a command
first) and start working on it. But with Greenies, she has a different
behavior. She *has* to take it out to the yard and bury it. She'll
walk around the house, holding it between her teeth, until I let her
out (just now she gave me a tiny whine to remind me she needed to take
it outside). I don't think she's ever taken a Greenie and immediately
started chewing on it.

She buries them in the yard, and sometimes she'll take a mud-caked one
out and play with it. I've grabbed one, washed it off, and offered it
to her again, but only occasionally has she actually started chewing
on it.

i don't know what it is about greenies in particular, but in the wild,
wolves often bury their leftover food so scavengers won't steal it. then
they dig it up when they're ready to eat it. i assume dogs bury bones and
such out of instinct, but i would think they'd only do it when they feel
it's a "leftover". maybe your dog doesn't want to eat it now, but is saving
it for later. or maybe she doesn't want to eat it in front of you, in case
you steal it away. so she "hides" it to eat later, in private.

when i give my dogs greenies or bones, they immediately take them to
opposite ends of the house, so they can enjoy them in peace. Manu usually
finishes his first, then runs back and tries to steal Lola's. if he
succeeds, he runs to his crate, which is his "safe" place, knowing Lola
isn't allowed to bug him in there. then i have to intervene and take the
greenie back, give it back to Lola, and keep Manu busy so he'll leave the
poor girl alone. maybe it would be easier if they just buried them. :-)

-kelly

Old January 11th 04, 04:15 PM
Theresa Willis

On 11 Jan 2004 13:07:31 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

(Anne) wrote in
. com:

When I give my dog something to chew on---say, a Denta-Ring or a
rawhide bone---she'll usually take it (she has to follow a command
first) and start working on it. But with Greenies, she has a different
behavior. She *has* to take it out to the yard and bury it.

What is it about Greenies?

There has been some work done in this area. A guy by the name
of Harlan bravely volunteered to test the addictive qualities
of Greenies to determine if they were loaded with crack or not.
We can't say for certain how long he spent in rehab and we
certainly can't reveal the name of the center he went to (for
confidentiality reasons,) but we *heard* the results, while
inconclusive so far, were that there was *something* in
there that tasted even far better even hotdogs.

So, be very, very careful until it's been determined
whether or not Greenies are deserving of a label warning
from the Surgeon General.

Terri

Oh, man, you can just FORGET about receiving any HarCo discount
coupons in the future, Little Miss BLABBY.

--Terri & Harlan (The thing about me and Robert Downey Jr. being
roomies is JUST A RUMOR)