Parvo Question

Old January 11th 04, 02:50 AM
NGCamacho

Default Parvo Question

Hi all,

I've a friend who bought a Beagle puppy from the same litter as I. Since
she had to go to the States over Christmas the breeder agreed to board the
puppy. Melody (the puppy) had her vaccines on Dec. 20. Last Monday the pup
was diagnosed with parvo. She was taken to the vet, and as of today, has
responded well, no diarrhea, or vomiting, is eating well and seems quite
happy and "back to her normal self". She is still on medication and at the
breeder's. My friend is scheduled to pick her up tomorrow.

She is a first time dog owner, and does not know what to expect. I have no
experience with parvo, although I've always had dogs. I do know parvo is
usually fatal, but as the pup seems to be recovering our hopes are up. How
can I advise my friend in terms of what to expect, what care to give the
pup, risk to humans, and when can we safely assume the pup is out of the
woods.

TIA,
Nora, (and Tink and Scout)

PS, I'm also researching on the internet, but would love info from people
who have more experience than I. (There are no breed clubs or any kind of
clubs in our end of Puerto Rico, where we could go for help, and as far as I
know this is the breeders first experience with parvo too.)

Old January 11th 04, 03:56 AM
Rene

"NGCamacho" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Tia,
I have a pup that is recovering from parvo. From what I have learned, as
long as the heart was not affected, everything should be fine. There is a
period, which I cannot find a definitive answer for, that the pup will be
shedding the virus in her stool. My vet suggests 3 weeks MAY be a safe
amount of time (after recovering) to keep the pup isolated. He also
suggested I pick up her stool and spray the area with bleach water if we are
out somewhere away from home.

If the pup is already eating and keeping food down plus has no diarrhea, I
would say she is out of the woods, but I am not a vet. There can be
relapses though, which my pup did have. After one day of being sick, she
bounced back and was eating for 1/2 day. Then she worsened rapidly.

It may be a good idea for the breeder to not breed again for a while. Parvo
can stay in the environment for awhile. Again, no real definitive answer.
I've read anywhere from 6 months to 6 years.

One good thing: this pup will never contract parvo again! She does NOT
need any more parvo shots.

René

Old January 11th 04, 09:26 AM
Abby Pennington

"Rene" wrote in
:

One good thing: this pup will never contract parvo again! She does
NOT need any more parvo shots.

That is NOT true. She is much less likely to contract the virus again, but
that doesn't mean she will never get it again. Nor does it mean she never
needs another parvo vaccination. That is something Nora's friend should
discuss with her vet.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

Parvo Question NGCamacho Dog behavior 4 January 11th 04 09:26 AM
Parvo Question NGCamacho Dog behavior 0 January 11th 04 02:50 AM
Question for those who've bred dogs - or seen it happening FurPaw Dog behavior 0 November 9th 03 07:06 PM
Parvo / vaccination questions Tracy Custer Dog health 4 August 16th 03 05:59 PM
Parvo / vaccination questions Tracy Custer Dog health 0 August 16th 03 05:15 AM