Puppy skiddishness, is this temporary?

Old January 12th 04, 04:25 AM
ferox

Default Puppy skiddishness, is this temporary?

I rescued a 5 mos. aussie/lab mix puppy about 3 weeks ago (the day he
was neutered) and I'm curious about his skiddish behaviour with other
dogs. I think he's about to complete his teething as well, he's lost
3 teeth in about as many weeks.

He loves people, is very playful, and is extremely gentle, aside from
wanting to nip when he plays. When we go to the dog park (it's
enclosed by a fence), he runs to the first human he sees and will
stick with them for a while. He then hangs around the fence area
sniffing for some time until he approaches other dogs to entice to
play (or may be approached by others). He tries to do the sniff
greeting with other dogs, but will drop his ears and start running
backwards or away. Sometimes, when he's being played with, he'll
maneuver around me so the dog's go past and he's covered by me.

I've seen other pups, his age and younger, that are willing to play
and chase and are not so timid.

I'm curious if this is a phase for him or does he need more social
re-inforcement?

TIA,
ferox