OT--Soups 2004

Old January 12th 04, 05:17 AM
Marie

Default OT--Soups 2004

Last winter, Chad asked for soup recipes, and a wonderful thread developed.
I thought I had saved the various recipes posted, but I can't find them on
my hard-drive now :-(

Here's hoping people can help: now that I'm back driving the school bus,
and overly busy with kidlets (Chris has figured out how to crawl--time to
invest in more baby gates--Alex still figures the best mode of
transportation is to lie on the floor and cry until someone picks him up), I
need two types of dinners: something I can (quickly) assemble in the
crockpot at about 11:00am or noon and have ready to dish up at about 6:15pm,
and something I can (quickly) assemble on the stovetop or in the microwave
at about 5 or 5:30pm and have ready to dish up at about 6:15. Oh, and if
the ingredients could be "staples" in the kitchen, or stuff that can be
bought during the weekly shopping trip and stay good until used...I don't
seem to have a lot of time to pop into the grocery store on a daily basis
anymore :-}

TIA

Marie
Meet Macula at http://members.rogers.com/mmcw/
Meet the Kidlets at http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mmcw2

Old January 12th 04, 02:19 PM
Julia Altshuler

Just now on rec.foods.cooking there's a whole soup thread going on. I
subscribed over there at the moment I realized I was more interested in
the off topic food threads here than the dog ones. As here, there's a
whole cast of characters that takes a while to get to know. As here,
there's a wealth of information that folks are glad to share. They've
been known to tell someone to go google, and there's the usual set of
villains best avoided, but on the whole I recommend the place.

To answer your question specifically, the staples for soup that can be
bought ahead a onions, carrots, potatoes, cabbage or cauliflower,
turnips, rutabaga, sweet potato. (All, or some of those.) The soups
fall into 3 categories: those requiring frozen chicken stock (bought or
home made ahead), those requiring V-8 tomato juice, those requiring milk
or cream. You can also get a fresh ingredient like parsley or zucchini,
some vegetable that doesn't last as long as the staples. Then you learn
how to make a basic chicken and vegetable soup, a basic tomato soup and
a basic cream of soup and go from there.

--Lia

Old January 12th 04, 02:45 PM
Shelley

It isn't soup, my one of my fav. croc pot meals is a crock pot chicken
recipe that a friend of mine gave me.
4 chicken breasts, frozen or thawed
1 can cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup
1 small can mushrooms (stems and pieces), drained
1 small onion, chopped
salt, pepper, herbs to taste
Put it all in the crock pot and cook on low for at least 4 hours. It's
really simple and tastes pretty darn good.
--
Shelley & Rusty
http://www.bump.us/rusty

le.rogers.com...

Old January 12th 04, 04:19 PM
Alison

"Marie" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Hi Marie
Can you get the store to deliver for you on a daily basis? I cheat
and use the supermarket dinners, they are delicious and I also use the
pre- prepared veggies.
I miss Chad, also I've not seen posts from Marcel or Chris lately-
Alison