lining up puppy buyers

Old April 19th 04, 12:11 AM
AndreaS

Default lining up puppy buyers

I'm doin' it! I'm in the process of planning my second litter. The first
time around, I did not have any buyers before my bitch was bred. I was not
well known and just didn't seem to have inquiries, not to mention that I'm
out in the sticks. This didn't bother me, as I was comfortable with the idea
that I may have had to keep them all if appropriate homes were not found. I
ended up keeping an "extra" puppy. Glad I did too.

I was ready for the same sort of scenario this time. This is only my 2nd
litter and I do not show or advertise much. Showing because I don't have any
dogs to show! I'm lazy about lure, and none of my dogs are super great on
the field anway. (They lack plastic bag-drive). I'm not a "name" and I'm not
"out there" very much. There are also a lot of breeders in the area to do so
regularly - people know them, they get word of mouth from existing puppy
people, etc. I try to have a presence on-line and when I'm out with my dogs
I try to be friendly and honest with folks inquiring about the breed. I'm a
local & national breed club member so that helps.

Well, what do you know? I've been getting quite a few inquiries lately, 4 of
which seem very promising. This is a cobreeding so my friend is also helping
to find buyers. She's got a couple of good nibbles too. I'm just really
happy that it looks like I may have good homes lined up before the bitch is
bred. We may not even have "enough" pups if these people all measure up. The
bitch is a maiden, the line usually has smaller litters, & we are both
planning to keep one so that leaves probably 2 pups to place*. I'm so happy.

:-)

*Watch, she'll have 6 puppies.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old April 19th 04, 02:57 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Andrea,
I'm a little surprised that your guys don't do the lure I thought they
chased everything :-) Do you enter them in anything else?=BF

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Old April 19th 04, 03:34 AM
AndreaS

"Frank Morris" wrote in message
Howdy Andrea,
I'm a little surprised that your guys don't do the lure I thought they
chased everything :-)

Oh, I meant mine in particular. The guys have high prey drive and do hunt.
They've killed rats and birds and we've had to rescue cats who've been
stupid enough to venture into our backyard. But the lure field doesn't seem
to do it for my two younger dogs. I don't practice enough with Boo & Bren,
but they also know it's a bag and just aren't all that excited over it.
They'll chase it, and Boo is ASFA pointed and has one leg toward her JC but
she's just not gungho. And she's slow. Dogs who really dig lure "kill the
bunny" at the end, but Bren and Boo just look at it like, "It stopped
moving; stupid bag." At least they come trotting over to me rather than
running around the field like a tardpantses. Seen that enough times.

Delphi would have been very, very good at lure but I was stupid and
inexperienced when I entered her in her first trial. She got DQ'd and I
didn't have anyone to mentor me and I didn't feel like trying to get her
back in when we had only just begun. I was discouraged. She's 10 now so I
don't see the point plus she'd hurt herself. Shane knew it was a bag, and
just sort of galumphed around the field, leaving the lure for birds. And
butterflies. He's also 10 now and has back problems. I wouldn't run him even
if he rocked the house.

Do you enter them in anything else?¿

I keep saying I want to get them into Obedience & Agility. And then not
doing it.

Old April 19th 04, 04:53 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Andrea,
It is interesting to see how different dogs are. I had 2 lure coursing
champions 20 years ago. I would watch how all the dogs would react to
the lure and wonder what they were thinking. Some chase some don't. Some
will only go after live game. And others that go after live game will
also chase the lure.

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Cockapoos and puppy millers Scall0way Dog breeds 23 April 25th 04 04:37 PM
Is getting a Chihuahua puppy reasonable for me? Pyro Doug Dog breeds 0 March 28th 04 03:42 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM