How Should We Introduce People to Our GSD?

Old January 18th 04, 12:17 AM
Chuck Covington

Default How Should We Introduce People to Our GSD?

Last week we adopted an 11-month old German Shepherd. She's been
really good around people and other animals when we've been outside
with her. Today my sister and brother in law came over for a visit
and she barked at them when they came in. I don't mind that, she
seems to bark at everything. Anyway, I gave them both a treat to give
to her and they each had her "sit" and they gave her the treat. From
the time they came in, even when they were giving her the treat (which
she earned) she seemed fearful. A couple of minutes later my brother
in law was still standing and she growled and maybe bared her teeth,
although we're still not sure if she bared her teeth or not. After
that, she was fine. She even gave them both kisses when they were
sitting down on the couch.

Should we be worried? Is there a proper way to introduce people to
her in her home? Outside the house she has been very good with
meeting people. She'll bark at them, but when she gets up to them
she's fine. We've been trying to get her around as many people and
animals as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck, Lori and Marley