Rimadyl

Old August 22nd 03, 09:20 PM
Mark/Shell

Default Rimadyl

Hi,
My BC has is slightly dysplacstic, today the vet has put him on Rimadyl for
10 days as he's a touch stiff on his legs. It's the 2nd time he's been on
it, last time was about 10 months ago and was just for a short time. To me
it seems like a wonder drug, it seems to completely take away the pain so I
have to make sure he is kept "quiet" other wise he forgets he has to rest
his leg.

My question is from reading on the web there are fors and againsts for it,
one article says its brilliant until your dog dies from it!! That's a bit
frightening! My BC is 17 months old and usually as fit as a fiddle. What are
others experiences and thoughts on this drug?

Thanks

Shell

Old August 23rd 03, 12:25 AM
Tara O.

"Mark/Shell" wrote in message
Hi,
My BC has is slightly dysplacstic, today the vet has put him on Rimadyl

for
10 days as he's a touch stiff on his legs. It's the 2nd time he's been on
it, last time was about 10 months ago and was just for a short time. To me
it seems like a wonder drug, it seems to completely take away the pain so

have to make sure he is kept "quiet" other wise he forgets he has to rest
his leg.

My question is from reading on the web there are fors and againsts for it,
one article says its brilliant until your dog dies from it!! That's a bit
frightening! My BC is 17 months old and usually as fit as a fiddle. What

are
others experiences and thoughts on this drug?

I'm not a fan of Rimadyl because I've seen negative side effects from its
usage too often for my peace of mind. I'm not disputing that it works, it
can just be really harsh for some dogs both initially and long-term (from
what I've heard). I've seen great results with the use of Deramaxx and no
side effects to date so its my preferred prescription pain reliever.

--
Tara

Old August 23rd 03, 12:45 AM
Mark/Shell

Thanks Tara, I'll have a look on the net and see if that's available in the
UK and ask my vet her opinion. The vet I seen today is excellent and I've
dealt with her for years, sadly there are a couple of vets in the practice
who I haven't so much faith in.

Shell

Old August 23rd 03, 04:52 AM
montana

"Tara O." wrote:

snip

I'm not a fan of Rimadyl because I've seen negative side effects from its
usage too often for my peace of mind. I'm not disputing that it works, it
can just be really harsh for some dogs both initially and long-term (from
what I've heard). I've seen great results with the use of Deramaxx and no
side effects to date so its my preferred prescription pain reliever.

We have witnessed first hand both the good & the bad of Rimadyl. Our
friend's Dal, Davey would not have been able to stand life without it in
his last years. I was convinced that Rimadyl hastened the end of our
Spencer's life, even if he was on it for a very short period of time
(and had lung cancer). If I had a choice to try something different, I
would do that, in spite of the fact that I know that there are perhaps
millions of dogs who have taken this drug successfully. Sometimes I am
more ruled by emotion than logic. If nothing else I tried first helped,
I would try Rimadyl.

Old August 23rd 03, 05:42 PM
C A Brown

Mark: You're going to find that no drug is totally safe for all animals. If
you decide against Rimadyl then you might want to discuss Metacam. (not
avail in US but is available in Europe, Canada and Australia) It's not
perfect either but we had very good results with it over the past year for
both arthritic pain and for post operative (ACL) comfort.
Carol Ann, Toronto

Old August 23rd 03, 07:21 PM
Mark/Shell

Funny you should mention Metacam, my friend who runs a Border Collie rescue
suggested it, she swears by it and much prefers it to rimidyl. I have to say
there is an improvement in Doug today after 24 hrs on the rimidyl, he's on 1
x 50mg tablet twice a day for 5 days then 1 x 50mg tablet once a day for 5
days, I have kept him quiet today and he seems much happier, I feel he's in
less pain maybe only discomfort between tablets which makes me feel much
better.

Shell

.. .