Is this really wrong, or is it just me?

Old January 18th 04, 04:53 PM
Jana

Default Is this really wrong, or is it just me?

Cruising Petfiner, trying to help my mom find a dog, I came across
this:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2445593
What is wrong with people that they are charging $500 to "adopt" a
dog? He has no medical issues that they have to cover, and their
other dogs are much cheaper - they sold a pom for $250, the others are
$100-150. Is it the smallness? The AKC registration? Do they just
not want him to be adopted? do a lot of rescues have sliding scale
adoption fees based on the desirability of the dog?
The laws of supply and demand, I suppose. :P

Jana
Old January 18th 04, 05:07 PM

Jana wrote:
The laws of supply and demand, I suppose. :P

I think so - there's a lot more demand for toy-sized dogs.
The economics of dog rescue are kind of a mess and I'm not
sure how they can be straightened out. On the one hand the
barrier to adoption needs to be high enough to keep the
likelihood of a dog going to a good home as high as
possible, but if the barrier is too high (and a $500
adoption fee might be, depending on breed) it's going to
encourage people who want a dog to buy one from less than
completely reputable sources. Some rescues do better than
others at striking a good balance. But if a Yorkie is going
to cost more than $500 anyway, and the demand is high, this
kind of adoption fee is not going to tend to push aspiring
owners out to disreputable breeders.

"You got a pretty face" -- George W Bush to Canadian
Prime Minister's Senior Strategist Scott Reid

Old January 18th 04, 05:22 PM
Tee

"Jana" wrote in message
om...
Cruising Petfiner, trying to help my mom find a dog, I came across
this:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2445593
What is wrong with people that they are charging $500 to "adopt" a
dog? He has no medical issues that they have to cover, and their
other dogs are much cheaper - they sold a pom for $250, the others are
$100-150. Is it the smallness? The AKC registration? Do they just
not want him to be adopted? do a lot of rescues have sliding scale
adoption fees based on the desirability of the dog?
The laws of supply and demand, I suppose. :P

Jana

Not only is it wrong but the rescue should be reported to the AKC for
transferring registration papers. When a dog enters a shelter or rescue
program, the AKC is supposed to be notified and the registratoin voided
w/papers either sent in to the AKC or torn up. This rescue appears to be
brokering or peddling.

--
Tara

Old January 18th 04, 05:53 PM
Michael.

Rescue groups get paid by the people who give them
the dog. And then they get paid by the people they
sell the dog to.

I don't see a problem with that. Any smart rescue would
make money wherever they can, because it would allow
them to rescue more dogs and have more social functions
and parties.

Where's the problem?

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Jana wrote:

Cruising Petfiner, trying to help my mom find a dog, I came across
this:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2445593
What is wrong with people that they are charging $500 to "adopt" a
dog? He has no medical issues that they have to cover, and their
other dogs are much cheaper - they sold a pom for $250, the others are
$100-150. Is it the smallness? The AKC registration? Do they just
not want him to be adopted? do a lot of rescues have sliding scale
adoption fees based on the desirability of the dog?
The laws of supply and demand, I suppose. :P

Jana

"Monster SUVS are great for the environment" -- Dick Cheney