Heat and Cold

Old August 22nd 03, 11:44 PM
Fritz Owens

Default Heat and Cold

To All,

We have a dog that has been a member of the family for almost
ten years. He is an outdoor dog and does not come in the house
except on rare occasions. We have two cats that get along all
right with the dog, sort of you leave me alone and I'll leave
you alone. They have a small pet door and come and go as they
please. They spend most of their time outside.

Recently, within the last few months with the temperature
rising in New Orleans into the high 90's on a regular, daily
basis, my wife has started this business of bringing the dog
in and putting him into the laundry room because it's "too
hot".

I've raised and trained a lot of hunting dogs such as rabbit
hunting beagles, squirrel hunting red tick hounds, duck
hunting Labs and quail hunting pointers. I never brought them
in during a hot day but always provided them with a good
kennel with plenty of shade and fresh water. During the
winter, they get to come in if the temperature goes below
freezing except for the Labs who wanted to stay out in the
cold.

I feel that it is a real shock to the dog's system to be
thrust in to an atmosphere which is 20 degrees cooler than
outside. My contention is that at his age, he should be either
kept indoors or outdoors without this constant, erratic
movement from outside to inside. I do not want any dog in the
house on a permanent basis because I think it is unfair to
them. Sometimes she leaves him in at night and he has no place
to urinate or defecate until I get up and let him out.

Fortunately for him, I'm up at 4:00 in the morning but the
dog's job of watching our property is cancelled by bringing
him in. I feel that the best part of his day is at night when
it cools down and he can wander around the 2500 sq. feet of
fenced in yard we have in the back. He's being deprived of
that and I think it should stop.

If anyone has any information on this problem and some
concrete information as to why this is bad for the dog, please
write to me direct as I'm up at 4:00 a.m. everyday and my work
day does not stop until 9:00 p.m. If you have any URLS you
would like to share where I might print out some info about
this situation, I would appreciate having them.

Thanks

Musically yours,

Fritz Owens
President
Fritz Owens Studios, Inc.
4819 Walmsley Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70125
Phone: 504-865-7027

Web Sites: http://www.OwensStudios.com
http://www.OwensStudios.net
http://www.OwensStudios.org
e-mail:

NOW! LIVE ONLINE POPULAR PIANO LESSONS
BY THE ORIGINAL CHORD SYSTEM.
GUARANTEED RESULTS!

Old August 23rd 03, 05:46 AM
Rocky

Fritz Owens said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

During the
winter, they get to come in if the temperature goes below
freezing except for the Labs who wanted to stay out in the
cold.

Has the BST returned? The headers are different, but I'd like
to be convinced that this is a troll.

Old August 23rd 03, 02:39 PM
Sue and Atty

"Fritz Owens" wrote in message
snip parts

During the
winter, they get to come in if the temperature goes below
freezing except for the Labs who wanted to stay out in the
cold.

My lab hates to go out in the cold. Mid winter we have to convince her to
go out to do her business, she'd hold it all day if she had her druthers.
Quick as she's done, she's waiting at the door to come in. She'd much
rather be toasty warm laying on the couch with her head on my lap. Ahh, the
good life!

I do not want any dog in the
house on a permanent basis because I think it is unfair to
them.

Dont' tell that to my lab! I bet she'd disagree with you as she lounges on
1. my bed,
2. one of her 3 beds (pillows included),
3. the couch, with her head draped over my lap getting belly loves

Sometimes she leaves him in at night and he has no place
to urinate or defecate until I get up and let him out.

Dogs are very capable of controlling when and where they go to the bathroom.
If he was housebroken (assuming he isn't, by your post), it wouldn't be an
issue.

Sue and Atty

Old August 26th 03, 08:28 PM
Fritz Owens

Dear ZPL,

Thanks for the words of advice. I will think about it. Does
mean a radical change in thinking. My wife has never cared
much for the dogs but became attached to this little "Hobo"
when he showed up here almost ten years ago as a wandering
wastrel. Perhaps she does have the right idea. We'll see.

F. O.

Musically yours,

Fritz Owens
President
Fritz Owens Studios, Inc.
4819 Walmsley Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70125
Phone: 504-865-7027

Web Sites: http://www.OwensStudios.com
http://www.OwensStudios.net
http://www.OwensStudios.org
e-mail:

NOW! LIVE ONLINE POPULAR PIANO LESSONS
BY THE ORIGINAL CHORD SYSTEM.
GUARANTEED RESULTS!

ZPL wrote:

Dogs, as well as humans, do become used to things like air-conditioning.
But, as "we" age, our bodies cannot regulate heating and cooling as they
could when we were younger. (I'll bet you don't miss the chance to catch a
little AC....) Maybe it is time to bring another younger dog to the house
for outdoor duties.

For an older dog, getting out of the heat may not be a bad idea. From your
post, I do not have visions of your dog kicking and screaming as your wife
drags him in by the collar. New Orleans is also humid. When there is a
heat index warning for you, it is in effect for the animals as well.

You have referred to your previous dogs. Maybe your wife has a soft spot
for this one or she is tired of seeing dogs feeling miserable as they age.

My neighbors here in SE Oklahoma (heat index of 105 or more on most days)
have taken to bringing in their 8 year old pointers due to the heat. They
are not taking it as well this year. They want to make sure the dogs are
healthy enough to hunt this fall and winter. The younger squirrel dog and
the catahoulas are perfectly happy in their "kiddie pools", but they are 5
years old and younger.

BTW - my dog is usually in the house with me on these hot days (and nasty
cold days as well). As far as I am concerned, I am the most important
object on the property.