My Dog is housebroken...almost..Help

Old January 20th 04, 12:10 AM
Mike Jr

Default My Dog is housebroken...almost..Help

About 5 weeks ago we adopted a 3 year old Shih Tzu. We were told he
was housebroken but the first thing he did when he came into our home
was urinate. He would also defecate as well in the house.We have no
idea what took place in his previous homes.

We have housebroken him by pointing out the "errors" of his ways and
then taking him outside. I might add, we taught him to use the doggy
door we have which gives him access to an 80' by 80' yard. No longer
does he soil in the house and he has the run of the house at night.

So what is the problem? Well, when my wife and I leave the house even
for an hour or so, he defecates in the living room. He has been shown
the "errors" of his way repeatedly but to no avail.

His correction has been in all instances as follows: Once we see where
he has soiled, he is picked up and quietly taken to the scene of the
crime. He is then told sternly ""No", "No", "No" and then taken
outside. We don't rub his nose in his "error" nor have we struck him.
He is kept out of the house for 15 minutes or so and then re-admitted.
He is not scolded or admonished in any way when re-admitted.

It seems as if he might be unhappy because we left the house because
he doesn't make mistakes when we are home.

He is really affectionate to both of us and really is a sweetheart. No
aggressive tendencies at all and gets along with our other two dogs.
He even sleeps on our bed.

We would welcome any suggestions you might have as to what we might do
to get him to cease this behavior. Since we are at a loss of what to
do, your suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

Thank you,

Patty & Glenn