To train more or not to train more

Old January 19th 04, 06:04 AM
Scott

Default To train more or not to train more

I have a question that I have wondered about for some time. I don’t
think there is one right answer, but it is a question that I am
currently struggling with.

My 13 month old, working blood lines (DDR) German shepherd is loaded
with drive. My observations of her suggest that her intensity, drive,
and energy exceed a half dozen or so schutzhund trained dogs (ages range
from one to six) that I have seen work at a nearby breeding/training
facility. Occasionally I train at this facility, mostly for obedience
and for the benefit of my dog being around other dogs in a controlled
atmosphere. (no bite work)

From time to time I have had instructors hint that my dog was a wee bit
out of control. Well, in my mind she isn’t, but she is not as calm as
the other dogs. She can do what the other dogs do on the obedience
training field, but she does it with a certain flair. When I put my
money down for a pup, I told the breeder (a different breeder) that I
wanted a spirited dog. I have always enjoyed dogs that I could play hard
with, dogs that had some get up and go.

Now I recognize the need for a dog to be trained, especially a large,
spirited dog with the potential to scare or hurt people; but, and here
is my question, should a dog be trained to the degree that it looses its
personality?

My shepherd is actually doing quite well with her obedience training. On
two different days I opened my garage door and she went out the door
before it was high enough for me to see what was on the other side. On
one occasion there was a cat walking by, and she did see it. On another
occasion there was a man walking a small dog. In both incidents my
shepherd simply stood there watching them very intently. She has great
prey drive and would have loved to chase, but she didn’t.

I have seen schutzhund and police service dogs trained, and what bothers
me about them is that the dogs, while they perform quite well, just seem
to be tools. I don’t see much personality. I understand that is the way
police service dogs might need to be, but a good many schutzhund dog
owners seem to genuinely care about their dogs, and I see the same thing
in their dogs.

Having said that, I am wondering if a dog should be trained to the
degree that the dog seems to loose its personality-- that inquisitive,
love of life, let’s go attitude that seems to make a dog a dog. I know
that all dogs are not the same and some of them are just calmer by
nature and/or train easier than others.

I just find that when I work with my shepherd on obedience, there is a
line that I occasionally cross, and when I do I see a distinct
difference in her personality, and that bothers me.

Which training method do I use? I knew you would ask. Well, I have used
many different ones, and every time the results seem to be the same.
There is progress to a point, and then when I cross the line that
demands more precision, I see that spark being extinguished. My training
has always involved short spurts of training time that are always
followed and preceded by lots of play. Some of the training is actually
play as in “the game” with Balabanov.

Maybe some dogs just are not suited for the demands of competition
obedience, but that is not what I am even looking for. I have no
interest in competition. I would just like the highest level of
obedience that is reasonably possible, but I do not want to loose that
love of life that my shepherd possesses.

Any thoughts? scott