Neutering Question

Old August 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
Tony Dentino

Default Neutering Question

Is it true that neutering a dog makes him healthier and less aggressive. I
have a four yr old GSP; I'm thinking of having him "fixed"

--
Ranger and Katie

Old August 24th 03, 07:49 AM
Tara O.

"seagull" wrote in message

Yes.

Not so definitive IMO. There are no guarantees when it comes to aggression.
I've seen it "cure" dominance-aggression towards people but then have seen
it have no effect as well. As for dog-dog relations, it can go either way.
I've noted a tendency for sterilized dogs (both genders) to react
aggressively to unknown, intact dogs of the same gender. Then again I've
also noted a decrease in aggressive behavior towards other dogs in the same
home. All in all, I believe the definite health benefits and potential
behavior benefits make neutering a no-brainer. There's nothing to be lost
except the ability to reproduce.

--
Tara

Old August 24th 03, 04:22 PM

Siberx wrote:
She need to have her first heat to be mature in her mind and boddy.
Before she will be a puppy for her live.

I'm afraid that's a complete myth. One thing that may be
and probably should be a concern is that the benefits to be
gained in reducing the likelihood of mammary cancer accrue
*if* you spay before the first heat.

Fascism should more properly be called 'corporatism,' since it
is the marriage of government and corporate power. -- Benito Mussolini

Old August 24th 03, 06:07 PM
ZPL

Of course, the dog is 4 years old.. Would have been better to think about
this earlier - before some habits had been set.

Old August 25th 03, 06:57 PM
Siberx

Melinda Shore wrote:

In article ,
Siberx wrote:
She need to have her first heat to be mature in her mind and boddy.
Before she will be a puppy for her live.

I'm afraid that's a complete myth.

Hello,

I think she need her first heat to be full matured.
To remove thinks for the healty of the dogs is another question.
These are things i dont wonne try to know.

One thing that may be
and probably should be a concern is that the benefits to be
gained in reducing the likelihood of mammary cancer accrue
*if* you spay before the first heat.

And i also think that the fact off mammary cancer cant become from her heat.
I think more about food and other things.
It will be always the question.
In the past they removed from human child stuff, because later they will have
less problems.
Years later they discover the necesity of that, and stopped to remove
automaticely.

P.S.

My English is only the basic, so i cannot go in to details; sorry about that.

Greets,